Wall mount frame

Has anyone tried to build a wall mount frame. It seems as easy as creating a frame that hangs on the wall with correct angle. I suppose I could reverse engineer the existing frames to get the right angle, but does anyone have it handy? Do you need clearance above or below? Is there any reason why you’d want access to the back of the frame (I can’t imagine one, but I don’t know from practice)

1 Like

I think a couple folks have done this. We’ve found that 15 degrees is about right, but the angle is not cricial

Welcome!
Yes, I never had a fixed frame and use a car jack to change the angle.
I disagree slightly with @bar

Let me know if you you are interested in how not to do it and I will send pictures.
Collaboration on a new motorized adjustable frame is more then welcome.

1 Like

I made a hinged frame as well, using metal conduit for my hinge. I left two feet underneath my frame for storage as I have a small shop. That’s a little high, so if you don’t need the space for anything, I’d keep it as low as possible to make getting boards loaded easier.
I have a post on the mechanics of how it was hung, but if your have any questions, feel free to contact me

1 Like

I think it’s more precise to say that we’ve found that 20 degrees is clearly too
much, and 5 degrees is clearly too little and around 15 degrees works, but we
have not had anyone do a good set of comparisons with different angles, at least
not since we’ve gotten triangulation and chain sag compensation in.

Our accuracy keeps improving, the current thing we are correcting for is the
fact that type 25 roller chain isn’t on average really 1/4" per link, it’s 1/4"
plus a thousanth of a mm, and that error adds up to be noticable.

When building your frame on the wall, hinge the top of it to the wall so that
when you aren’t using it, you can fold it out of the way. That will also let you
adjust it to different angles as we find out more (or you can do the angle tests
for us :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Mine is going on the wall tonight (hopefully). Although mine, like most others, doesn’t follow the default frame exactly. I’ll create a post when it’s all up and running.

2 Likes

Eagerly awaiting my Maslow, and I’m trying to plan things out so I’m ready to set things up when it gets here. I also though wall mounting the frame and swinging it up for storage would be ideal. Any updates from the community here? What are the key requirements for the frame as I think that will help me understand how to design the frame?

Are my requirement assumptions below correct?

1. Top cross bar is necessary to limit motor deflection.
  2. Height should allow for router bit to reach edge of 4x8 sheet and not have sled hit anything on the perimeter.
  3. Some kind of lower lip to help hold panels
  4. Allow angle of approx 15 degrees

Is there any concern about warpage of the frame that requires a beefier frame with significant bracing?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Warpage… my favorite topic. I think whether this is a concern really depends upon your local environment. I live in Florida and my Maslow is in an unconditioned shed and warpage is a problem. An all-unistrut frame would be ideal in this environment, but its a bit pricey for me.

Your assumptions are correct, you can really build it any way that fits your needs and change the measurements accordingly in calibration. For example if you were tight on space you could have a 4’x8’ frame that only has a 3’x6’ish cutting area.

Unistrut, or doublestrut if you really want it stiff, is nice and rigid if you like bolt-on style structures. its basically an erector-set for adults, very handy. If you really want to eliminate warpage have a frame fitted and welded together. You can still use unistrut for that but id prefer beefy aluminum lol :money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face:

I built a traditional rectangle frame out of lumber similar to the alternative design that used to be linked through the assembly guide (cant find it now) but with more supports, no temporary frame needed. As you continue to use your own you will learn what needs upgrading or adjusting. For me, anytime an issue occurs its time to over engineer a solution, so my frame is constantly evolving. Its basically a rolling work station now. There are many other innovative ideas waiting to be thought up, we cant wait to see what you come up with.

Did you get your’s on the wall? I’m about to do the same. Still working through details, and would love to see examples of how others did it and what worked.

1 Like

Im also putting a hinged wooden wall mounted frame together
And using a 11 feet of steel box beam to mount the motors
Still on the drawing stage

1 Like

I used gate hinges to hang mine on the wall (the ones that are triangle shaped, not the rectangular ones). I found some at Home Depot that are about 1 1/2" wide so they’re small enough to be able to screw them directly into the studs in the wall. They’re rated for 30 lbs each, and I put one hinge in each stud that the frame crosses so I think I have 10 of them keeping my frame attached to the wall.

1 Like

BetterBuilds, this comment piqued my interest. Do you have any pictures of your “rolling work station”? I’d love to see your machine’s evolution.