Web Control Raspberry Pi Model 3b

Are you autostarting it or running from a terminal? If running from a terminal, can you see any error messages in the terminal window? Also, are you trying to use the camera function? Make sure it’s turned off

it’s autostarting when I reboot.
but when I turn it off from webcontrol, it stays off. I can kill it via htop.
I never set up a camera, so I will check if it got turned on somehow.
perhaps related…I cannot update from 932 to 94.
when I look for a service to turn off…I see no service for webcontrol or maslow.
Instead I see a webMCP.service.
and it does not have “autorestart” checked. it does some sort of “docker” thing, which I read somewhere is not the way to go anymore.

I think the right thing for me to do is delete the webcontrol folder and “wget” the new version. but I don’t know how to do that.

-m

so i was able to run it in terminal. here is what it spouted out:

Initializing Logger
/home/pi/.WebControl/log.txt
/home/pi/webcontrol
Initializing Configuration
Camera initialized
.##
raspbian gnu/linux
.##
.----
rpi
singledirectory
.----
VIDEOIO ERROR: V4L: can’t open camera by index 0
/home/pi
Using routines for Python == 3.5
Starting Console Queue Processor
/home/pi/.WebControl/webcontrol-*.port
-$$$$$-
/home/pi/webcontrol/main.py
/home/pi/webcontrol
-$$$$$-
opening browser
Checking latest pyrelease.
Trying to connect to controller on /dev/ttyACM0

Connected on port /dev/ttyACM0

Sending: B05
Error checking pyrelease: could not convert string to float: ‘2020-05-26-2021’
None
FAKE_SERVO off

WebControl 1.27
Firmware Version 51.27

Sending: G21
Sending: $$
Fontconfig warning: “/etc/fonts/fonts.conf”, line 100: unknown element “blank”
[2175:2272:0903/222219.374399:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(621)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.Notifications.GetCapabilities: object_path= /org/freedesktop/Notifications: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Notifications was not provided by any .service files
{“hostAddress”: “127.0.1.1:5000”}
connected
d53321d660e645fabe7fd4ea9e978de7
starting UI
I’m connected!
Sending Board Data
Sent Board Data
Sending Board Cut Data compressed
Sent Board Cut Data compressed
VIDEOIO ERROR: V4L: can’t open camera by index 0
ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.
[1:8:0903/222319.595385:ERROR:command_buffer_proxy_impl.cc(124)] ContextResult::kTransientFailure: Failed to send GpuChannelMsg_CreateCommandBuffer.
One Error Report Command Misread

I don’t know if any of that is helpful, but I noted it initialized the camera, but i don’t know how to stop that.

Many of these error messages I haven’t seen before. Some of the error messages suggest you are running headless chrome at the same time.

As for the camera, there’s a little camera icon on the right handle panel… should have a /cross through it for it to be disabled. If its not, click the camera icon to disable it. Don’t get stressed about some of the messages about camera being initialized… it doesn’t actually mean the camera was initialized… go figure :wink:

a few updates:
-camera is off/disabled (I found the icon- with a /cross )
-somehow in all this I managed to upgrade to version .94
-touch pad Z axis zeroing seems to work now.
-the “lag” between pushing a button/command and the machine doing something seems to have shortened to 5-10 seconds.

still runs at 95% cpu capacity with no gcode loaded.
I’ll see if I can get a new readout of errors tonight. I didn’t intentinally put chrome on this pi. it’s my first pi and I followed the directions someone posted here about piBakery and such (“raspberry pi for beginners”?)

-M

A further update:

I was able to do holey calibration, but only after a few attempts.
Attempt 1 was successful, but this was the initial calibration.
Attempt 2 failed to complete the entire cut, and got stuck after cutting the first 3 holes.
Attempt 3 successfully cut all 6 holes. However, after putting in the values and clicking “calculate” it got hung up again.
I restarted the R/pi and was able to put in the values again, and recalculated after about 3 minutes of waiting.
So then I loaded up a gcode.
It froze after about 45 lines of code.
I was never able to get it to move past this. after restarting the pi and restarting the cut several times, it always freezes at about line 30-40.
Interestingly, when it hangs up, the CPU usage drops from the normal 95-100% down to about 80%. it’s not doing anything to process the G-code, but

I gave up.
so I plugged in the maslow to my laptop (ground control, not webcontrol), and was able to cut the ~4500 lines of code with no maslow-groundcontrol hangups.

help?
What should I do to get info for the group here to help me diagnose the problem?
or is this R/pi 3 just not up to the task at all?
-M

I’m running a headless raspberry Pi 3b for WebControl, installed on top of raspbian OS lite. I only see CPU usage around 30 to 40% while cutting. I connect to the WebControl server with an old laptop.

Are you running a desktop and browser on the 3b?

Mine is also headless. I VNC into it to check on things.
I just checked, and apparently I’m running the full raspbian image.

But, interestingly, when I don’t have webcontrol running, the CPU usage is down in the ~15% range.

I just ran htop, and here’s what’s consuming CPU when webcontrol is not running.

Generally low cpu usage even with VNC running. This shows about 12%, and htop is the biggest user with 5%.

Here’s what it looks like when webcontrol is running, and plugged into the arduino.

as you see, cpu is at about 97% with almost 85% of that webcontrol.

So, if I switch down to lite, will I still have the ability to VNC into it and have something that looks like a GUI/desktop to do troubleshooting?

And what about running lite will make webcontrol consume less cpu?

Thanks!!!

Lite does not contain Xorg or desktop environment, so VNC will not be much help. I just putty or use Mobaxterm (both free to use) to ssh to the Pi from my laptop and manually start WebControl.

I’m not saying you have to re-image your pi. You could test it by enabling SSH, mayb disable VNC in network options, then disable Desktop in raspi-cong boot options, if you are comfortable with it.

Just be sure to enable and test ssh before switching off desktop, or you’ll be dragging out a monitor and keyboard to the shop to get back in to your Raspi.:slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a model 3b as well and it only takes ~20% of the processor. The snagged screen shot and said 16 instead of 21, but it was rotating through processors 1,2, and 3 at 14-21%.

It runs the command line interface with a text display screen. The instructions @Jamtek provided to switch to the command line interface (CLI) should really cut down on the processor overhead. On the system being viewed, there is also a separate python thread running that sends and receives data to/from webcontrol over a socket every half second, so most webcontrol instances should be using less cpu.

I’m running a 3b as well, I don’t have resource issues either, I am running the full version of raspbian. I don’t know enough to be of any help beyond reporting that if it is of any help to you.