WebControl - First Steps - "Extend Chains" button moves motor backward?

@dlevans I’m sorry for taking so long to respond form my earlier post, It has been a busy few days for me. As @TimS said, if needed, I can reach out to you via text or video call if needed to help get you through this step.

The thing to understand here is over the top mounting means the chins will extend from the top of the sprocket to the sled as in the picture below:

This image is for the left motor. The right motor is mirrored. This will have your excess chain hanging down on the side for your machine, where other instructions will show how to use the springs or Bungee cords to keep the tension there (and help prevent the chain from slipping off the sprocket during operation as you mentioned you also had issues with). When you set the sprocket to the 12 o’clock position, and place the first link of the chain on, you want the excess to be hanging to the left of the sprocket for the left motor, and to the right for the right motor. When you press extend chains, the left motor should turn clockwise to extend the chain towards the middle of the frame. I usually keep hold of this part of the chain to ensure it comes off the sprocket and not get wrapped around (ask me how I know!!). Do each side 1 at a time. The right motor should turn counterclockwise to extend the chain.

If you are wanting to be set up for bottom feed, your excess chain will be in the center and can use the instructions for using the spring/bungie to keep tension of the chains along the top beam of the frame. Everything that I stated in the above paragraph for Top Feed is now opposite. your left motor will rotate counterclockwise and your right will rotate clockwise when extending the chains, so set your first link on the 12 o’clock sprocket with the excess accordingly. This is how I have my Maslow set up (or did…still working to get it finished put back together).

I hope this helps to clarify how it goes, and if you still have any questions or need help, just send one of us a PM and we’ll work out how to go about a phone call or something. I know you have been referencing the github instructions, but here is a link to the WebControl Wiki here on the forums that has videos on how to do each process. Take a look and let us know if there are any other questions.

I’ll also leave you this link which is what we call the Maslow Manual, which is mostly complete (All of the basic steps for set up and calibration are in there, there are some advanced stuff which is what makes it incomplete - I think). Either way, it is something I do reference from time to time when my machine starts acting squirrely and I look to troubleshoot.

Please don’t give up. you have gotten to the point where you have put for the time and effort, and you are almost there. I was in the same place as you almost 6 years ago, and got it working. I know you can get over this hurdle and can get cutting very soon.

Cheers!