What would you do differently with substantially better motors?

I was just given a pair of 500w AC servo motors with GAM 25:1 gear heads, along with the motion controller. It was about 8k new.

Has anybody thought about using the Maslow geometry with industrial hardware? What would you do differently?

My initial thoughts were: Making a HUGE Maslow. CNC the side of a building. You can’t really get sheet goods >5x10 ft, so this is probably pointless.

Cutting tougher materials: How heavy would the sled need to be in order to push through steel? I’ve seen success in aluminum already.

Cutting faster: Gravity must limit the performance of Maslow (cutting downwards at least) but is it currently near that threshold?

I also have a 200w servo that could go on a beefy z-axis (spindle instead of router?)

I’d love to hear all of your thoughts on this.

1 Like

@tbutters

Welcome to our group. If I had Beefy Motors , first I’d have to consider the frame. You have to support them. Then what could I potentially do different. Marble! but then you will need a diamonds. Yea Glass and Marble are my first thoughts, fat metal too. Going to need a lubricant recycling system as well. Fun stuff!

Thank you

it all depends how quickly you are trying to move. The stock maslow moves very
slowly, so it could probably cut steel (especially at lower speeds)

the biggest problem with cutting steel would be that the router spins far faster
than you really want for steel cutting.

I’ve been thinking that a painting version which prints murals could be fun :wink:

1 Like

Don’t do that… might affect my brother’s income. He paints murals all over the world as well as doing other things. Proud of the kid.

http://artist-daas.com/about/

4 Likes

That is beautiful!!!

One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man. - Elbert Hubbard

But it sure can help him - Bee

Thank you

4 Likes

We are two very different people… I think we both make beautiful things, but by completely different processes. I’m an engineer and he’s an artist. What he does is astonishing to me.

4 Likes

“I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble” - Helen Keller

1 Like