2018 initiative projects

Happy New Year to all.

I am ambitious. I have several intentions to improve the user experience. In addition I plan to try to bring the community together in both gatherings and goals. The first which is:

Maslow Bay Makerfaire Meet 2018

https://makerfaire.com/bay-area/

May 19-21, 2017, San Mateo, CA

I’ve come to learn that many people travel across country to this faire to attend. I plan to organize a time, date and place for us to meet up.

The second is:

Boxing Day 2018

At the moment it’s a concept. The goal is to challenge each of you with a working Maslow to make one or more projects to give away to someone in need or sell it to raise money that will be donated. The dead line for this is before Thanksgiving 2018. This is so there will be plenty of time to get the donations together and submitted in December 2018 in honor of Boxing Day.

These are just a few of my goals. I will be setting up a server where these things can be organized.

I recently added a few things to the Wiki -

Community Contributed Files

https://github.com/MaslowCNC/CommunityGarden/wiki/Community-Contributed-Files

Interwebs contact , collaborating

https://github.com/MaslowCNC/CommunityGarden/wiki/Interwebs-contact-,-collaborating

Maslow Ground Control Computer

All the Ways You Can Still Upgrade to Windows 10 for Free

Windows Requirements for Ground Control

If you are up for either of the above initiatives, please reply here.

Thank you

3 Likes

Bee, great to see you putting in the legwork here. I think both of the goals you outline are both fantastic and doable.

One of the flagship Makerfaires is in California, where I think a large proportion of our community is located. This is great for us! I would love to see community meet-ups. :smiley:

For us on the east coast, do we want to make an appearance at some local faires? There are quite a few “mini” faires in the area currently scheduled. Given that my Maslow lives in a trailer, the possibility of me being able to bring my machine to these fairs is also a possibility. I took a quick screencap of the map on the website, filtering out all the school fairs:

Focusing specifically on the Boston/New York area, we have:

Sunday, April 8th: Lakeville, CT
Sunday, April 8th: Pennington, NJ
Saturday, April 21st: Westport, CT
Saturday, April 21st: Bloomsburg, PA
Saturday, May 5th: Simsbury, CT
Saturday, May 12th: West Tisbury, MA (Martha’s Vineyard)
Saturday, June 9th: Port Jefferson, NY (Long Island)

There is also the New York faire itself, which I’m not sure if it has been scheduled yet but it was in September last year. I also saw mention of one in Ottawa, Canada, which I could probably make a road trip for. I didn’t see a concrete date for that, just “Spring 2018”. I’m sure more will be scheduled as the year goes on.

It would be great to meet up with some of the other Maslownians at one or more of these fairs!

I really like this idea. I would be more than happy to participate. What type of projects are we envisioning for this? Furniture? Shelter (like Bar’s pods)?

Sorry for the long response, and I’m sorry Bee if I’m usurping your post here. I can break out the East Coast makerfaire plans into a separate thread if you want.

2 Likes

Bryan,

I appreciate what your doing here. This is a thread to spark action. I see the projects as two fold. If you have a relationship with a person in need, make a direct offer. I plan to look into projects where people are in a program transitioning into housing. I see them as the most likely to need a direct gift.

The second option is to pick a fund, and make projects that are sold and the funds are collected as a group and a bulk donation is made. This is why I want to give people time to consider what they want to do.

As an example I usually donate to the L.A. Mission. I find it necessary to look into the practice of each charity to understand who will benefit best from a donation. This should be worked on and sorted early on as group here.

The goal is to set goals for something that should be easy to do ,to raise a small amount, that combining our small amounts we may help others greatly. This is what I believe Boxing Day to be about.

I encourage people to use these spaces - usurping

This is fantastic when people are motivated to respond like this. Keep up the good work!

Thank you

1 Like

I’m totally up for the boxing day challenge. :slight_smile:

Depending on my work schedule, I might make it to the Ottawa Makerfaire, but that definitely depends on when it happens. I have projects in April and May-into-June which I need to dedicate my work life to, so I may have to sit that one out. Bay Area is out of the question as it lands the week before a major project launches. Is bummer. :frowning:

I would love to contribute to the wiki, but that will take some getting used to Git. I signed up for Github after reading the first post in this thread, but it looks fiddly. Something new to learn.

3 Likes

Revisiting - Maslow Bay Makerfaire Meet 2018

Who is going to the West Coast Makerfiare this year?

Thank you

@Bee Unlikely that I will make it, but a link to the event and/or a date would be nice :wink:
Location is optional

1 Like

@Gero I appreciate your input -

Maslow Bay Makerfaire Meet 2018

https://makerfaire.com/bay-area/

May 19-21, 2017, San Mateo, CA

Thank you

1 Like

I will be there and would love to meet up with people

1 Like

So far my list looks like this?

@bar, @hannah, @phil, @Bee are going. Who else?

Thank you

1 Like

I will be there. I bought a weekend pass, but might only be able to make it for Saturday.

Are you going to organize a time & place for Maslowans to meet up?

1 Like

Yes - We will pick a meet up time and place for Saturday. We’ll nail down the details as it gets closer. I was trying to get a feel for how many people will be there. Maybe we should all circle at the Saturday after event Paella. If it’s just us we could bring our own portable table / bench. More later.

Thank you

I may go (that’s far enough out that I don’t have plans yet, and it’s a long
drive, but a possibility)

David Lang

1 Like

I’m almost always there Saturday and Sunday. Unless I’m sick or get hit by a bus I’ll be there.

2 Likes

I actually won’t make it :frowning: I’ll be at my brother’s graduation on the east coast

2 Likes

:frowning: - However - Good work Brother! Enjoy the east coast while you’re there.

Thank you

hoping to make it there with @onifli

1 Like

All - Those going to MakerFaire - Let’s meet up Saturday at the Maslow Booth 3PM. We can meet up there and then move to a more open space as a group to get to know each other face to face.

Thank you

1 Like

Nice to have met you Bee!

2 Likes

You as well - always good to meet users face to face.

Thank you

1 Like