Alternative tensioning method

I’ve run a couple of projects and I have noticed the issue with the cut wandering in the lower corners because of the lack of tension on the long chain. I was wondering if it would be feasible to do some type of wrap around to take the slack chain and route it to the opposite diagonal corner. It would have to incorporate the bungee to accommodate the length changes due to the geometry.
Has anyone else thought about this?

Greetings! This has been discussed allot in the Forum and many interesting ideas came up. Not with bungees though. This is only one of the post i found using the search function… There are many more.

1 Like

@TerryN and @Gero - The original system I tested was exactly as you described and did, in-fact, use bungees to account for the changes in geometry. It also used a block-and-tackle system to multiply the small movement of the chain slack into a larger movement of the bungee so that it was tight in the lower corners and looser when cutting up top.

I ultimately abandoned the approach because there was too much variability in the (Chain Sag) estimated value that the software uses and so cuts didn’t wander too badly, but they were not repeatible or accurate. The better way to solve the issue from what I’ve seen is to just make the top beam 12’ long and increase the chain lengths so that the ‘innacurate/wandering’ corners are essentuially moved outside of the 4’x8’ cutting area.

Hope that answers your questions!
Best,
-J