Base frame accuracy help

Hello, I am having a lot of trouble with my setups accuracy and was looking for some recommendations. The following picture will be used as a reference:

Hopefully it is obvious how these two pieces are supposed to fit together. Inside of Fusion360 I know they fit together due to the fact that I used the combine tool to cut the exact material away needed to make them fit together.

Once cut it’s a different story. The areas that are cut away are always so much smaller then the areas that are meant to notch into them. It seems obvious that I need to make the female end of the notches wider or make the male ends more narrow… but I’m not sure by how much? Does anyone have experience making things notch into each other? Is this an accuracy issue?

If it is an accuracy issue, can I fix it by moving to a 12’ top bar frame? I’d love a frame that allowed me to use the entire board if you have any recommendations…

I don’t use fusion and do not know your process, but my first thought would be to be sure you are using the correct tool path. Inside, outside and on path will all leave your parts a different final size and could affect your cuts as the bit kerf will change places.

Thank you for your response. I am cutting on the outside for every piece which is how they are supposed to be cut to fit together, so I don’t think it’s that.

Again, not sure of your process, but intuitively, (and I could be wrong) the lower piece in your picture looks like it would be an inside path. (The center of it I mean, the profile would be outside)

I see what you mean.

The outside line is an outside cut and the inside line is an inside cut, which is what it’s supposed to be.

Ok. That makes sense. If the interior cut were outside, that would have caused your issue.

And the other piece is an outside cut?

You may want to take a look on how to create dogbones first… or your parts will never fit, then decide what type of fitting you want.

Hope it helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes it is

Thank you, this is exactly the kind of thing I’m looking for.