I decided to spin this off from the topic it was part of. I had some time to work on this again tonight and figured I would give a quick recap, and I had a change in thinking.
So far I have pulled two identical “pop together” bed frames out of my pile of inspiration. With an angle grinder ($14 list at HF) and cut off wheels, I have dissected them into 6 major pieces of angle iron and a bunch of other little pieces; 4 do dads that act as legs the wheels slip into, and 2 do dads that the headboard would bolt onto if you had a headboard, and 4 little square pieces that keep the arms from over extending.
This is not enough for the entire project, but it is enough to build the two sets legs and the bottom supports. I am basing this so far on Bar’s bolt together frame design.
To that end I have gotten a bunch of pieces cut out. Leg A is 79 inches. None of the pieces are that long. I have used one entire long piece of a bed frame and cut one short piece to be 79". I have also cut a little 4" piece to potentially use to bolt the other two pieces together with. I broke down and bought a $79 HF metal chop saw the other day with a 25% off coupon. Great purchase, I am not sure on the leg A’s if I am going to bolt them or weld them or bolt weld one piece of the 4" piece and bolt the other. I figure this way all of my options are still open. I have a gas mig welder so I can potentially make nice welds, but I am not a good welder. Practice makes perfect though and at least with this, it won’t be catastrophic if a weld gives. Thoughts on this aspect are very welcome.
I have also cut two leg B’s, they are just a bit shorter than the bed frame long members so that worked out well. I think the bed frame long members are about 69" or so if I am remembering correctly.
And lastly I cut out the two 25" supports from two of the short pieces. Each frame has 2 long pieces and 4 short pieces, So far we have used all of the long pieces for the legs, two of the short pieces for the legs, the change from one of the legs short pieces for the piece to bolt the other pieces together with, and two of the short pieces for the supports. That leaves a lot of short pieces left.
I have the spines from two old fotuns I think I am going to use for the top support and I have a few more bed frames for the bottom and what ever else.
My goal is for this to be bolted together enough so it will be portable. Probably not easily portable but it should come apart enough to fit in a car. My goal also is to spend as little as possible on this, so that means looking at my pile of inspiration for ideas on stuff I can recycle into different pieces. And the third goal is for this to be at least as strong and flex free as it’s wooden counterparts.
I am planning on having a 3/4" plywood back board that will be bolted into the agle so I suspect that will stiffen it right up if the steel is not stiff enough to begin with. I got that free too. 3 sheets on the side of the road in a free pile.
As an aside, if you are in or will be traveling to the Ithaca NY area this summer and have any interest in this or a host of other projects, please contact me.