Beer Tote Plans

While reading the tool tote thread, it reminded me that I have a very nice beer tote file that was shared with me a while back. It too would be a great candidate for the Maslow treatment for making parts out of solid wood instead of plywood (i.e. the discussion over on the Adirondack chair thread).

This is not your standard, generic beer tote. It’s got some elements of the classic Greene & Greene style that I think really takes it up a notch aesthetically, especially if you used contrasting wood species. Would love to see some of you guys post some of your beer tote projects. They are cheap and easy to make over a weekend. Also, they’re a great warm-up project if you’re new to your Maslow. If you biff it, you’re not out much in materials. Note: I would avoid using dogbones for something like this and just finish the inside corners with a file/rasp.

Here’s a PDF and SVG:

G&G Beer Tote.pdf (8.3 KB)
G%26G%20Beer%20Tote

16 Likes

I love this and will take a crack at it. Thank you for sharing this.

Thank you

2 Likes

Very much digging the beer holder! I want to make a growler holder for the car (being in Portland, you don’t go anywhere without spare growlers). Just something basic so they dont clank or tip over. Learning Fusion 360 to prototype it out.

2 Likes

Can someone please post the dimensions of a growler (e.g. diameter, height, etc.)? Does a two growler tote work? This idea has been niggling at me for weeks. Would there be interest in a tote with storage for two pint glasses too?

BTW, has anyone seen Samurai Carpenter’s toolbox? There may be an interesting nexus here…

1 Like

My Growler measures 5 in. Diameter (127mm) by 11 inches tall (280mm). I’d go 5.5 to 6 inches (~ 140 - 153 mm) to allow for some padding to be added. I’m in for the pint glasses. I’d mount those upside down to keep things out of them.

:slight_smile:
Thank you

That seems a little small. Are there small growlers and larger ones? I seem to remember having ones that were close to a gallon.

These are 1/2 gallons from 2 separate breweries locally and they only sell the one size.

https://learn.kegerator.com/growlers/

Off topic but - this is my growler

https://www.morebeer.com/products/torpedo-ball-lock-kegs.html

Thank you

I was picturing something along the lines of this - flat boards with circular openings. Since a big part of the goal is to maintain stability while in a vehicle, I might try a 2x2 holder or at least making the bottom piece square.

http://scoutmob.com/p/Wood-Growler-Carrier-wildcard?ref=cat_home&sort=new

2 Likes

BTW - Depends on the country you are used to “Toting” your beer if you prefer Warm or Cold. I like the idea of a square boxy arraignment. It might not have as much fashion but it makes up in function, especially if you are making and storing many of them. Easier to ship too.

Thank you

I didn’t know of those things, what does it do to the beer quality? Without knowing about them, and with never having drunk out of one i’d say that i agree with the article in @bee’s post.
Over here, we just buy our beer in bottles. Also what you call crafts beer, we just call beer :wink:

2 Likes

The glass ones pretty much ruin beer in a short period of time, but there are other options out there, like these:

1 Like