Best software for making interlocking 3D structures via slicing?

A decade or so ago there was a toolchain for using SketchUp and a plugin to take 3D objects and convert them to something like this:

I don’t think that’s feasible anymore because of changes to SketchUp and the plugin being abandoned (I welcome correction if wrong) and AutoDesk’s old tool for making them has been discontinued.

Is there a modern toolchain folks are using to build things like this? I’ve got some projects for my M4 in mind and want to do some preparation and learning ahead of time.

2 Likes

I’m working on a 3D modeling program that will be able to do this really easily, but it won’t be ready for several months :confused:

3 Likes

Roger roger, I’ll look forward to seeing it!

1 Like

While it isn’t being maintained anymore, you can still use Autodesk’s Slicer for Fusion 360. I’ve used it extensively when making flat pack furniture without issue within the past couple of years. Otherwise, I think Rhino/Grasshopper has some similar solutions as well.

3 Likes

There is a Sketchup Plugin called Face SVG by Marving Greenburg that will export a face to an SVG. It is designed to use with the Shaper Origin but I am sure it can be adapted to this.

2 Likes

Eagerly awaiting. I’m wanting to create forms for trailer fenders that would ideally look like the examples.

2 Likes

I have been searching for the same thing. I played with Kiri:Moto a few weeks ago for long enough to get the feeling it could be used… if you’re willing to do the manual work of adding the slots. For my laser I was going to slice an object first on X, then on Y axes, save as SVG and then edit in Lightburn to add slots. I later found this kiri forum post describing roughly what I imagined.

From older forum posts it looks like some owners of previous generations of Maslow owners used it to varying degrees of success and frustration for basic CAD functions.

1 Like

Kiri Moto is more for the CAM step as I’ve seen it.

one way to do it in onshape/fusion would be to create the shape for your 3d
structure, then position boards within that shape and do a boolean operation to
cut the boards down to stay within that shape.

you would still need to make the slots, but that could be more boolean
operations.

David Lang

2 Likes