Fusion 360 Slicer

I was just introduced to this addon for Fusion 360 today which stands to dramatically improve life for large format CNC owners, at least from where I sit:

Anyone have any experience with using Slicer with their Maslow? I’m preparing to invest in the next production run, so your hands-on experiences so far would be valuable.

1 Like

W. O. W.

Game Changer.

I have used the slicer before. But not on the maslow. It is really cool. My only complaint is that it adds another layer of complexity to your workflow. Exporting to a DXF of the version I needed was difficult.

Hopefully with the maslow the post processing will be easier.

1 Like

I would LOVE one of these programs that handle “Isogrid” stuff (http://www.sheldrake.net/quarter_isogrid/)

It has the different segments/panels overlapping multiple angles… all the software I’ve found so far only handles 90deg or non-overlapping joints… maybe I’m just not doing it right.

Did you find that Slicer also has this limitation?

Was that a dxf of the whole object, or the cut parts?

Rain tomorrow, planning to get started on the Fusion 360 tutorials along with the paste and cut sled

I haven’t found a way to have multi-axis slices (more than two sets)… of course it’s all new to me.

For what it’s worth, I asked the support contact listed on Autocad’s web page and he got back to me in a couple of hours (on a Saturday no less)…

Hi Bruce,

That’s not possible, but it would be great! I wonder if you can trick the system by doing two operations in which one direction is the same on both. Then you can merge the vectors for those slices. Just trying to get creative here.

Cheers,
Guillermo

Just of the cut parts. The Laser Cutter I have access to doesn’t like newer DXF versions. I need something like r12. But the slicer doesn’t give any export options.

I’ve used Autocad’s 123DMake software for several years now, they re-named it “Slicer” when they added it to Fusion. It’s an incredibly powerful tool. In my experience it’s been a little buggy (freezing, forgetting slice orientation after saving etc) but in general it’s totally awesome. There’s a chance they improved it when they added it to Fusion but from the little I’ve used it in Fusion it appears to be identical. I highly recommend it!

@bdillahu There’s no way that I know of to generate angled slots from the software however if your slots are all on the same plane (if they are parallel to each other) and you have the ability to angle your router you could just lay out your pieces carefully and do it that way. Kind of a hacky solution but it might work? I haven’t done much CNC router-ing, I come from a laser, plasma, waterjet world where tilting the cutting head is not typically a viable option!

1 Like

It’s not really the angled slots that I’m caring about, it’s supporting three axis of pieces crossing each other, if that makes sense.

The slicer will handle two pieces crossing at not 90deg angles (it’s a setting in there), but you can’t have three pieces crossing at 60deg angles to each other.

The support person added to his earlier response with:

You may need to do three passes. DirA vs DirB, DirA vs DirC and DirB vs DirC

When I have time to try to figure it out, I’ll see about giving it a whirl. Since I haven’t really used Fusion before, I have to learn enough of it to fumble around :slight_smile:

Oh! I misunderstood! I see what you mean. Yeah, I don’t know how to do that other than manually designing it or maybe re-importing previously sliced files…
If you find a solution if be curious how you solve it!

Does anything like this slicer app exist for SketchUp?

There are a lot of community plugins for Sketchup, so I hesitate to give a definitive answer, but I would be extremely surprised if such a thing existed, let alone was anything as complete and sophisticated as this one.

I haven’t dug into any of these, but the results are promising, at least: sketchup slicer - Google Search

Yeah, I played one time with the Slicer5 script… seems to do about the same thing.

2 Likes

Wow alright, :blush: I was way off, that is pretty cool.