C-Beam Style Z-Axis

We are trying to identify some possible improvements to add to the kits that we sell on our site.

I’ve seen some users with C-Beam Z-axis modifications and was wondering if that would be something people would like to see come available as an upgrade to existing kits, as well as become an option to be included in future kits.

-Chris

3 Likes

IMO an improved z axis kit would be hugely beneficial. Increased accuracy, potentially wider range of usable routers, faster cutting speed potentially. Huge improvements over the existing z axis kit.

2 Likes

I second that. I’ve had the maslow for 2 weeks now and the Z-axis is still my biggest problem. However I want to say I appreciated that snazzy USB stick with all the files and starter projects. I really like that parametric chair plan.

1 Like

It would be nice to at least have all of the components for an improved z-axis available as a single kit instead of gathering them from the different sources. The cost of convenience will be there, but worth it, I think.

2 Likes

I think the hardest part for adding it to a kit is that with the C-Beam axis there are so many different iterations and depending upon how a person wants to build their Maslow could change how they attach or use the C-Beam. I think it would be an awesome thing to have as a 1 stop shop, however, you would just have to find what the most widely usable style would be.

1 Like

I’m not huge on too many choices. Not as a consumer or as a seller. BUT THIS SHOULD BE AN OPTION!:grinning:
Brilliant idea. I hope this comes to fruition.
I’d love it if the compiled c beam z kit was sold to swap out on a “default sled”. I’m only so ambitious and have enough diy projects :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

After not getting any successful cut through with the current z-axis kit using the Ridgid r22002 housing, i ordered a c-beam z-axis from banggood (i always order from them).

https://banggood.app.link/yVYEQ0DbS6 (250mm in silver)

The slop is awful! I have my cut-trough set at 0.15" past material thickness and It still is too sloppy! I actually measured the “slop” at 0.30" and now the spindle catch likes to jump out of its groove.

I plan on mounting it with 2 “L” brackets from the back and add some wood support on the side.

Chris, take a look at this concept from my EasyRider CNC project, which is due to be finalized in 2 to 3 weeks, I believe this will work very well with the Maslow kit as well.

• Simple design, low part list, can easily be bolted on to the Maslow sled (there are four bolts for this)
  • Z travel of around 40mm but this can be adjusted if necessary.
  • Z gantry Can be moved back and forth to keep correct hole centers for different diameter routers and holders
  • My kit uses a Nema 17 stepper motor, as you can see, and it is inverted to keep the weight nearer the base
  • Other motors could be used but I could not support this unless there was large demand for a new top plate that used ‘your’ existing motor setup
  • USA users, unfortunately would have to pay to ship the full kit from UK, I can check costs once I have the kit in my hands.
  • The router shown is a Makita type around 62.5mm diameter but different mounts could be added quite easily as the front plates are made from Aluminum.
    Note how the router is positioned, this can of course be moved up or down to better suit Maslow kits

If you are interested in this please contact me directly.

Thanks

Colin.

1 Like