Chain tension solutions

Has anyone else had trouble with their bungees slipping out when you reach the top corners of your work area? My sprocket hook goes solidly past the mid-point of my 10ft beam when I’m working in one of the top corners. My solution was to offset the bungees a little bit so that they have a little bit of extra room, though this doesn’t feel like the most elegant solution

IMG_5370

1 Like

counterweights are a far better solution.

David Lang

1 Like

I’ve seen a handful of posts about that here. Any solution you find particularly elegant? I’ve struggled to think of how to best setup the pulleys in a simple way to support counterweighting.

yes, no pulleys :slight_smile:

there was one person who put a bolt in the center of the top beam with three
washers and some nuts to provide a guide for rope, they then used a PVC sweep
(plastic pipe with a large bend radius) out at the opposite motor to guide the
rope past the chain and everything there, and hung a weight on the end.

you could use pulleys at the center and outer edges, but just running parachute
cord through passive guides seems extremely elegant.

David Lang

1 Like

Thanks dlang. Seems like a great simple solution. Did this person just attach the paracord to the end of the chain and tension it directly, or was the sprocket used?

I’ll also have to check the clearance under my top beam. I store my extra plywood in that space below the beam and behind the work area

I used paracord with the sprocket on mine, but to take care of the full travel needed I used a pulley that reduced the vertical travel of the weight. Sort of in the manner of the original vertical stretchy-string setup…

1 Like

Thanks dlang. Seems like a great simple solution. Did this person just attach the paracord to the end of the chain and tension it directly, or was the sprocket used?

you need to use the sprocket because that changes it from ~8’ of movement to ~4’
of movement.

I’ll also have to check the clearance under my top beam. I store my extra plywood in that space below the beam and behind the work area

That’s the beauty of continuing the paracord along the top beam and guiding it
down under the far motor, it doesn’t hit the space behind the workpiece and you
don’t need a bunch of stuff to guide it around the top beam

David Lang

1 Like

Mine cross all the way to the other side of the beam, and come back to the center. I got my kit before the larger bungee was available. I bought a 50’ section, so I had plenty.

1 Like