Maslow Home Maslow Community Garden Newsletter

Collet and 1/8 router bits

can you guy please post pics of the 1/8 in router bits you are using and i have the ridgid R2002 router and need to know where to and what kind of 1/8 collet to get.
Thanks for help

I went through three different collet adapters that said they were for 1/2 to 1/8 but none of them even tightened the bit. I think I ended up manually modifying the adapter so it could tighten more. I’d recommend an 1/8 bit with a 1/4 shank if possible. I don’t remember where I got the one that ended up working - sorry, that’s probably not much help.

this is the one that I purchased:

the regular 1/2" collet on the Rigid seems to tighten it up just fine.

Also, make sure that you don’t have 6mm or 3mm shanks. They are really close to 1/4" and 1/8" shanks, but are simply too small to work in a collet meant for imperial sizes.

That’s strange, I just looked up my order history and that is exactly one that I returned. You must have had better luck than I did.

perhaps their quality control is not great. I did have to reef on it some, but I do that with all my bits just to be sure they are tight, so it’s not something I would have noticed without purposely thinking about it.

I have the R2002 as well and my 1/8 inch bit is a step down from the quarter inch shank that fits in the converter that came with it. Believe it or not I think that my 1/8 in end mill (as I call it) is actually just a straight cut bit. I figured it would work since I was just going to be cutting vinyl records but it works great on MDF as well! The only problem I have with it is the step down at about a half an inch up. It prevents me, of course, from cutting all the way through three-quarter inch material.

I only did some test cuts, but everything seems to be working out of the box.
These bits (22mm cutting depth) should be just so long enough to make it through a 3/4" (19mm).
Bits
Collet

Call me crazy, but I have been using these with my Rigid: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015DXAF7G

I popped the spring washer off the outside of the nut to get the 1/2" collet out of the tool holder, then popped one of these in with the tool and tightened it down.

If you’re going to use the smaller bits a lot, you might consider a 1/2 inch to ER16 adaptor, the ER16 spring collets are really nice, and provide much better clamping force than the solid 1/2 inch to 1/8 inch adaptors.
I’ve found one here, but I haven’t had a chance to try it yet:
(It doesn’t come with the collets, but you can get a complete set on amazon for around $15-20)

It’s probably best to use the actual adaptor I linked in my post above, the router’s collet adaptor is designed for straight collets, not tapered ones :slight_smile:

The threaded collet holder of the actual machine is tapered on the inside. Not quite the same taper as the ER-16, but it works pretty good so far. When you take the 1/2" collet out of the nut via removing the spring clip on the work side of the nut, it tightens down nice at tight on the ER-16 collet. I doubt cutting a little wood is gonna cause enough stress to make much difference. I have about 12 hours of cutting on it so far doing pocket, contour, 3d profile, and drill cuts with an 1/8" 4 flute tool.

I just got these today, unproved and untested… But at $0.49 each delivered from china, I was willing to try them out. 2 flute 1/8" end mills appear to be HSS (maybe just chinesium). I can see some slight variations in OAL - measuring a few I get 38.5mm - 40mm

nice you get them from Amazon

Where did you get them those bits? I found some on AliExpress or perhaps I saw a ad afterwards on Instagram & Finance Police. They were of similar price but the shipping charges were 14$.

I got them on aliexpress during the new years sales event (read: bonus discount).

I am going to attempt to share the link into this post from the app:

US $4.91 41%OFF | 10pcs Two Flute Carbide End Mill Dia 3.175mm Solid Spiral Woodwork CNC Router Bits For Milling Cutter
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/b8dOleso

The picture on this link looks poor (rust?), but what I got was higher quality (shiny and new). (price varies every time I click the above link on a different device so YMMV)

I made a video on the collets I have: https://youtu.be/NlsqfYORw5M

thx im ordering them now