Colorado Top Bar BeeHive

My Brother is splitting his hive so I cut this for him. Roof and top bars left to cut tonight then prime and paint.
20180530_202713

I wanted to cut most of the parts out of the center of the project area so I used about 1 and a half sheets of plywood instead of 1

*Edit: Also, thanks to @GMS10 for finding the original dxf files.

15 Likes

are those purchased DXFs or open?

https://www.osbeehives.com/collections/source-files

2 Likes

:slight_smile: Awesome, thanks!

Though, I think that starting to keep bees is still a couple years in the future at the rate the projects are stacking up

2 Likes

5 Likes

Respect! POW vote.
I wonder if I would hang 2 of those in the 2 trees I have were wild bees are building their hanging hives every year.
Would they except it?

1 Like

I bet you could! I’ve read about bait hives where people lure in swarms.

3 Likes

Giggle suggests that the tree-nesting wild honeybees in Bahrain are most likely Apis florea, which aren’t easily adapted to man-made hives, and which actively compete for territory with Apis mellifera, the bee targeted with the top bar hive. Too, if you have nests hanging in your area, you’re pretty lucky as it doesn’t sound like there’s much for a bee to forage on the island. Beyond that, I can’t imagine wearing the full beekeeping rig in Bahrain weather! :fire:

2 Likes

Top bars

3 Likes

Yes! That’s them. This dwarf honey bee makes up for it’s size in attitude.
Jamila, one of my cats knows, as I had a humming, panicing cat in house one day and found out that the reason she was humming was around a dozen of this tiny bees that had buried themself under the fur to reach the skin. It was ‘fun’ to pick them out and take the cat to the vet.

Interesting student paper you found with a few flaws (1997).
While 86 % humidity through out the year is mostly correct, maximum of 40 °C (104 °F) in August to a minimum of 14 °C (57.3 °F) in January is more like maximum of 55 °C (131 °F) in July/August and minimum of 8 °C (46.4 °F) January/February.
127 plant species seems to only cover the native plants and ignore the man made gardens.

Wondering if a locally adjusted version would do the trick for cooling?
Obviously I would need a mesh as shredder protection on both sides of the fan.

Edit:

Warning: Offtopic, cynical, satirical, informative and not meant to be gender offensive.

The historical traditional female outfit was once very colourful and the head was not covered.
What is now referred to as traditional clothing (younger then 20 years) suggests that beekeeping is a mainly female activity :wink:

1 Like

That looks like you have your Maslow dialled in well. Great project.

1 Like

Yes, @bar 's work on 1.13 and the new frame really have me cutting great. I was surprised how well the hive fit together. Note that I did not use the outside ft or more on the left and right side so, I’m not sure that it would have all fit together if i tried to run it all at once.

4 Likes

The way you laid out the parts symmetrically and outward from the center is really smart. Predictable error is the best kind of error!

4 Likes

this is the project that i built the maslow for!

3 Likes

Bees are in their new home

8 Likes

Awesome, this is exactly why I purchased Maslow for, I guess I need to get busy and put it together…

4 Likes

What software did you use and did you have to define the cuts yourself?

Makercam and yes

Hey @ScrumdyBum,

Thanks for posting info on this project.

Did you have any problems assembling the parts?
Anything misaligned or connecting parts too big/small?
Is there anything you would change in the design?

Thanks for any input.

Beginner here, so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

How does this process go when you cut this design with the Maslow CNC? Which files I need to load into the Ground Control, do I need to set up different tools? I read on OSBH website that they have different layers for cutting different depths, how does this work with Maslow?

I am trying to figure it out so I can make this kind of beehive for myself.

Thank you a lot!