Complete starter, and confused with so much info!

@Esqy Thanks for joining the Maslow family. I wanted to provide the next information to you to give you a background in what you have asked about with all the different software:

That was the brief history of the evolution of the software that is used to control the machine. So back to your OP:

Correct…however you get the graphics file is up to you!

Correct again. Both of those programs have a CAM (Computer Aided Manufacturing) process that allows you to turn your SVG into GCode by selecting how you want it to be cut. There are many of these programs out there that will work with the Maslow. Fusion360 (very advanced and has a CAD {Computer Aided Dsign} and CAM function, Carbide Create, Easel, EstlCAM, Vectric V-Carve, etc.) The most important part of these programs are to ensure they have a Post Processor (PP) that generates GCode in a “flavor” that the control software understands and can follow to make your machine do the dance and end up with a lot of chips. Some (like Easel and Fusion360) have a PP made for the Maslow/M2. Others you want to be looking for a GRBL PP as that is what our varying controlers “understand.” Mind you these CAD/CAM packages can be very costly depending on the version you get and the things you want to do. Vectric is $350-700 USD, where as you said Easel and Fusion have some “free” stuff, but are severely limited and make you pay their “subscription” fees. I have used EstlCam (has a free trial but it can get annoying as it will have an ever increasing countdown timer) but a license is only $60 USD. I am currently using Carbide Create, but haven’t used the GCode to cut anything, but @Orob had a tutorial on here that showed how to use it and has been successful with it. And @bilzer046 stated in his answer he uses Carbide Create. The basic version is free, and you can use it to cut most everything needed. If you want to get into 3D type carves, then you’ll need to upgrade to the Pro version which will cost you!

Since you stated at the beginning that you received your M2 kit, this is very easy for you to “decide” which one to use. Unfortunately the M2 comes with the new Due controller, and therefore you can ONLY use Makerverse. But GC, WC, and MV all pretty much do the same thing - it controls the “dance” of the machine by reading/interpreting the GCode and telling the machine where to be and when…in simple terms.

So TL;DR, you can use whatever CAD/CAM/SVG creating software you want that will get you GCode, and then upload that into Makerverse to make your M2 dance a little boogie! Since you have a bit of time, there is a bit of documentation on the setup and use of Makerverse on the Wiki. It is a newer software, and there are not a lot of people here that use it often, but there are some that may be able to help if you run into errors.

I wish you luck, and happy cutting!!

3 Likes