Could use a little guidance with making signs

I’m interested in making a few signs for some friends who I ride motorcycles with. we all have Indian’s so I’m interested in making some shop signs for them. Unfortunately even with an 1/8" bit I have to make the signs so big or it skips details and wont get into the little corners, I’m not interested in making the signs and longer then 2’ or any taller then 7" unless requested but it seems the Maslow may not be capable of cutting details that small has anyone attempted something like this? I don’t know if an even smaller bit is even possible without doing 20 passes, can someone help me figure this out or am I just out of luck? I have attached a picture of the text I am trying to cut out, they will then be mounted on a square piece of stained or painted wood.

You could try doing this with different sized bits. Use a larger one to get close. Switch to a much smaller one to get the smaller details to cut out. Of course, it looks like you would need to use a small one for most of the outline (the gaps between all the lower-case letters seems quite small).

I don’t know if any of the cad/cam packages out there will be happy with splitting tools on a single outline. For instance, using a 1/4 bit for the majority of the “I” outline and then use a separate path for just the portion that has very small gaps.

You might have to manually create separate paths in your design that could give you a good approximation of this.

I’ve been using Estlcam and it lets you cut the majority with one size bit then “finish” with a second bit. It’s free to download, relatively easy to use, and it might do what you want.

a 24x7" sized sign with a 1/8" bit will look fine to most people. Single flute upcut will work. you can reverse the text (mirror image) so the good side is facing down and won’t tear out.

I think I sorted it, seems the text is just too thick so I went back into illustrator and offset the path, makes the text a little thinner so an 1/4" and 1/8" can fit and keep all the details. I will do a write up on it soon and hopefully make a video of it so that people having the same issue might benefit for my hours of tinkering.

Thank you for the response I will check out Estlcam, always interested in learning new stuff.

I think I sorted the issue, check out my response to Blair.

Thank you for the response.

I make signs with the Maslow. I’ve been using estlcam to do the GCode, and a V-Bit to actually do the cut. estlcam lets you enter the dimensions for your bit and it will adjust the GCode accordingly.

Questions about your cuts.
What bit or angle?
Cut depth?
Step over?
Speed?

I think I have sorted it out for the most part, learning illustrator was key. But if I have any further questions I’ll definitely be more specific. Thanks for the reply.

Questions about your cuts.
What bit or angle?
Cut depth?
Step over?
Speed?

Bits - I have a variety of v-groove bits (90 degree angle) plus one of the maker made double ended bits where the other end is 60 degrees.
Cut depth / Step over - If you’re carving (not cutting all of the way through) use the bit with the sharpest point that you have got. If you are cutting through or doing a deeper carve then I’d recommend using a straight flute to do most of the work and then clean up with a v-groove.
Speed - Drop your speed down as low as you can (whatever your router supports). To get the fine detail in corners either run multiple passes removing less material or use some software that goes slower through corners and sharp bends, so less lash.
Vibrations - I found that thinner ply especially can imperceptibly vibrate when being cut. Leading to different widths of cut when carving. Which is why I’m rebuilding my frame to make it much more rigid (and take out a subtle warp in it). Other options are to screw your ply to your spoil board at many places outside of your cutting area, or anything else to reduce the risk of vibration.