Current recommendations

Hey guys I am a newbie but I was thinking it might be helpful to all if some of the senior members post the current optimal Maslow Recommendations regarding anything and everything (sled construction, Z-axis slop, etc.) in a single post that is constantly updated so we all know that we have the best operating system.

Thanks

Edit: Gero added this link on 17th July 2019
I’ll just add this link here to this post, as it sort of matches:

4 Likes

I don’t necessarily think that this would be a bad idea. However, since each persons maslow setup is different, what is right for one person may be totally different than what is right for another. It could be a decent starting point but I believe every person, to an extent, will have to put in there time to find what is right for their machine. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

I think that both @SuperCharger619 & @ChrisB have a good point. The best thing to do (imho) is to poll these things. Cast votes for amendments or something. That would be wise. Sure it might end up being the AOL or GUI of Maslow but let’s face it… User friendly can be great and have it’s own place. :sunglasses:

I hear what you are saying ChrisB that makes perfect sense as everyone’s set up will be slightly different.

I believe general recommendations would be of great value to the community and would be a forum to facilitate an ever improving change that is easily accessible.

MerryYeoman, peer voting or senior member entries would be cool with me.

1 Like

Are there any senior members that we would consider subject matter experts that would want to front lead this?

1 Like

The main issue I see here is that we don’t have a final product, but a group of testing enthusiasts either runing a ‘standard Maslow’ that is well documented, or tuning and testing a huge diversity of frame, sled and z-axis modifications. Just take the 4 chain mounting options for example (brackets and 3 triangular systems). We don’t have the statistics to give a recommendation on which of the 3 chain-mounts performs best.
The frames on a fixed ‘standard’ machines is tilted 15°, but we only assume that this is near the the ‘best angle’ and that will vary with the weight of the sled. Top vs. side slack-chain management etc. etc…
We would need a cross-globe inquiry with a group of testers supplying first all machine data and then running the same test-cut to gather the data that is needed to develop a recommendation first.

If you are not a tweaker and tuner a ‘general recommendation’ would be go with a frame of your preference and make a rock solid (no flex) top beam for the motors. A wider ~ 12foot seems to be accepted as better.
For the sled go with the documentation that is up.

Edit:

All of the contributes are voluntary doing the great work for the community in their spare time.
Development has been so fast and interesting, that the documentation fell behind and spreading out into different approaches has not made the update job easier.
The best source (my opinion) is currently here:
Forum Wiki
Volunteers to clean up the outdated stuff (github) and add the missing are always welcome! The Wiki is editable for everyone.

3 Likes

Maybe we could pin a general recommendations or the forum Wiki link you provided to the top of the page since a majority of the dialogue in the forums is regarding optimizing their machine.

2 Likes

I have my Forum settings to show me always the latest posts, but clicking on “Categories” I found the Wiki at the bottom. Good point.
It would deserve a space on third position, after the “Projects” and “Community Garden”.
This post can be turned to a wiki - current recommendation and linked to in the wiki.

I think it would be nice if (just like the default frame) we had a default everything, clealy defined for getting started. Just like the default frame there would be a “menu” of other options for each aspect (ie: ring, linkage etc.). This way we could learn why each thing might be better suited for individual needs and desires. It is much like (in a less formal way, so it seems) @bar “suggesting” the Ridged Router and also saying plainly that we could use any router that we have. https://youtu.be/R9Kv3GZI6Og (a video that without hyperbole has undoubtedly helped change lives!) Think how so many of us would not be/think the same without @bar & Maslow!

3 Likes

By pinning it, it would definitely get more hits and further increase dialogue, and push it towards optimization.

This thread should also prove quite helpful for those of us coming back from the dead, such as myself :wink:
Quite a difference 8 months makes; can’t wait to get caught up!

4 Likes

Welcome back!

1 Like

Does anyone know who the moderators are for this site so we can pin this topic so we can start getting current recommendations posted?

The question is where to pin it? I’m struggling with the options.
The “No Judement” category does not seem the right place, nor does “Globally”.
Should I change the category to Wiki and pin it there?
Suggestion are most welcome. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Wherever you think it’ll get the most views and contributions, I’ll defer to your recommendation.

2 Likes

I pinned it at the top of ‘Hardware’ as I guess that it fits there best.
For the wiki it does not qualify, as we have many variations that would needed to be compared with each other to receive ‘facts’. I think this post will be more of users sharing opinions and observations.

One example:
With the same motor distance over the sheet, a 12ft top beam has an advantage over the 10ft, as you get better results in the lower corners. The con is that you need longer chains (not sure if the new suppliers have addressed this). So if you have your kit already, you need to buy extra chain. Is this something that be should recommended then?

3 Likes

These are good points and questions. I’ve recently moved my frame where 12ft (unfortunately) won’t fit. Great “recommendation” but “not recommended” for my situation! However (for example) mine could use the recommendation of temporary bungees hooked, monitored, and released from bottom corners if cuts are expected to be in the danger zone.
Everyone has different needs but menu style like the default frame and it’s counterparts would be cool. It could then be “default” and not “current recommendations”.
I’m kinda thinking out loud here but it’s difficult to articulate. For instance the default frame has a 10’ top beam even though some would recommend 12’ due to the real problems it solves. The question (in development) is “What does the evolution of default look like?”
The default frame, as a perfect example, has changed in the past! :wink:

1 Like

I haven’t even gotten my machine up and running yet, but I think the bungees for taking up chain slack should be abandoned in favor of a couple more (half?) bricks and maybe another couple pulleys to use a (constant) weight to pull the chain slack. I’ve also seen designs that drop the weight off the back. Maybe I gave up too soon, but I spent about 30 minutes futzing with the thin bungees in the kit and concluded it was not ever going to work well.

As I’m getting my machine going, I’d also like to see a pinned list of other “highly recommended” modifications to the default setup. If 12’ top board (and longer chains) is necessary for accurate cuts across a full 4x8 sheet then that should be in the default plans (and the chains in the kit). Similarly for a “skirt” around the board.

I guess I’d much rather see the default be a bit larger and more complex to build with notes on where you can take shortcuts (e.g. 10’ top board is fine for working area 3’x6’) than to build a basic machine and find out that it only works “ok” and have to go digging here to make really work.

1 Like

I have no problems with the top bugees just to let you know.:grinning: Also I’ve never had an issue ( lower corners inaccuracy) but more weight just pulls down and the reports (from those with problems) sounded like it needs more tensioning in the downward diagonal direction. I personally hope I never have to go through the corner bungy rigamarole! :rofl: