Cutting 20mm thick aluminum plate with a maslow!

You can connect vfd’s directly to 3 phase but you have to order them to that voltage and configuration to begin with. I work with several but they are much more industrial than anything maslo is designed around.

It is handy, we just use it for some of our bigger gear for breaking timber down and making veneers. Like @Gero said maslow doesn’t really need huge amounts of power, the feed rates and cut depths that we can achieve just don’t require any more than 800w. For now I think I’m going to stick with the rt0700c makita its only 700w and I’ve never heard it bog down. Once (if) I manage to kill it ill get one of those 800w ebay spindles that are 65mm so it will fit my clamps.

My first Aluminium test on the desktop cnc did not go so well.
Not waiting 40+ days for a 1 flute bit, so have to go on with a 2-flute.
The info on the net is so diverse, that i could not wrap my head around it and for guys that need to run 2-flutes the info is wage or encrypted in pro-language.
Looks like i’ve have gon to aggressive on the feed-rate G21/F1800/mm/min (G20/~F70.87/inch/min).
Will keep the depth per pass at 0.5mm (~0.02inch) for now and cut the feed-rate more then half for the second test and the second bit.

Suggestions welcome. :slight_smile:

Is it a straight or spiral 2 flute? I used these bits here https://www.bunnings.co.nz/evacut-6-4mm-straight-router-bit_p0171080 to great success with aluminium and my feed rate was 350mm min and 9500rpm .5mm pass. Its just a carbide tipped router bit but if you look at the carbide cutters they extend past the steel bit itself about 1mm. I think this means with a .5mm pass you have very little in contact with the aluminium and the chips can be extracted easily and don’t clog the bit up. If you don’t have much success with the ones you have could be worth going to a local hardware store and see if they have anything similar. The only downside is 6.4mm so they waste more material, but bigger bit may help with chip extraction? I don’t know.

1 Like

It’s a 3.17mm 2 flute spiral. Lowered the speed to 800mm/ min but will try much lower like the 350 you suggest. Thanks. Still trying my spindle at full speed. Will do a series of tests, since i have enough china bits to put to waste. Sadly there is no hardware store on this island i could just walk in and buy. Either within a few days from amaz0n but with shipping being more then the product, or wait 40 days plus from Aliex.

3.17mm bit with 2 flutes is too small. the flutes are not big enough to throw the aluminum chips out. I would use a single flute 4mm bit or bigger.

1 Like

This may be a silly idea, but if you can spare a bit to test maybe try and grind off one of the flutes? Only the first 3-4mm? Sort of make your own single flute? It might just break but could be worth a shot? Could just use a bench grinder or an angle grinder. Just run it at a slower spindle speed say 10k or so. And probably a set of safety glasses wouldn’t hurt either. I did this with a 4mm 2 flute that had a chipped flute and used it to cut plastic. It worked.

1 Like

What alloy of aluminum is that? It looks pretty soft, which might be contributing to gumming your endmill. the 6061 alloy is a common one for cnc milling operations.