Cutting a wood bowl

I would like to cut a bowl made of wood. I would like to stack maybe 7 or 8 inches of plywood and then cut the bull out of that. I understand the limit of the size is the width of the sled. Has anyone tried building a larger sled that is 3 square feet. would it be possible if the router could be suspended vertically with a very long adjustments screw set up for the z axis so that way the inside of the bowl could be carved.

What about cutting the rings out of one sheet and then stacking and gluing them together once they’re all cut?

2 Likes

I feel like @Darryl’s approach is more in line with the capability of Maslow. You are limited in depth by the Z-Axis movement of the bit, so can’t cut anything deeper than your bit movement.

3 Likes

I was thinking about doing it that way also. Unfortunately that’s the easy route and I have a tendency to over complicate things. Has anyone done a big multi layer project like this with Maslow yet?

By cutting rings you should be able to make a close to 4x8 foot oval bowl, although you’d need multiple sheets of plywood to handle the overlapping sections. You’d cut them one sheet at a time. Could make a cool swimming pool.

Trying to do something thicker than around an inch will have Z travel and depth of cut issues. You might get around that if you can find extra long bits and swap them when you get to greater depths, although it would be tricky and might get dangerous with that long piece of spinning sharp steel hanging out there. Drill bits don’t cut well on their sides or you could use aircraft type long bits and go to 18 or 24 inches.

Ever think of getting a wood lathe? Every well equipped shop needs a few in different sizes

I want to make a bathtub eventually, using the bowl to learn on.

For the aircraft bit would that cut better on its side vs a standard bit or
is the only advantage the length?

Thanks for the replies this has been great!

1 Like

Yeah… You are looking at something like this then.

Prob not what you are thinking…

I’d start small, use the layer at a time approach, and work up. Glue up boards that will do the rings without much waste (a pen adapter could be a big help drawing lines to follow), cut them out, repeat until high enough. Follow with a lot of rasping (power tools sound like a good idea here :slight_smile: ), and sand, sand, sand. Finish with something to withstand soap and hot water for many years.

It sounds a lot like a segmented bowl, except oval and with a Maslow instead of a lathe, and gluing after shaping. Planer to get the wood for each layer the same thickness, and some creative clamping on a nostick surface, something like Titebond 3 for glue. That’ll be a one impressive bathtub.

Just watched the video that @czimm74 linked to. I want one of those multi-axis router’s. Wow!

1 Like

I’m sure if you just made a few minor modifications to your Maslow you could do the same thing Lol

Thank you for all of the replies. I look forward to working with many of
you on other projects.

The layer bath tub would probably be best with lots of nice sanding. That
multi-axis router would be great. I am sure someone can figure out how to
do that with Maslow adding in some cameras to help track. Above my pay
grade.

Just to be clear, I saw easily $1Million plus in equipment in that video, at least half of that in the 5-axis router. Asking how to do that with the Maslow is a bit like asking how to make the fuselage of a modern fighter jet with an english wheel.

The Maslow is a concept+ stage DIY panel processor on an extreme budget. I am very excited to see what can be done with it and whether the design is robust enough for a micro business production environment. It’s great to dream big, but…

How do I sign up for GoFundMe?

The only multi-axising the Maslow us going to do is when the sled tilts out of a cut… Before starting another discussion, just use same thickness scrap around the edges to support the sled. Use a trim router for the extra details and save half a million US bucks.

Although maybe you could make one with a 3D printer Delta mechanism. The hayloft has a 20’ plus ceiling at the peak…