Define Home is not staying centered in ground control 0,0

I am having a similar issue. Just finished my initial set up and calibrations yesterday. When I hit the home button in ground control the sled went to the horizontal centre but was about 8 inches low on the vertical. Today I moved the sled to the centre of the waste board and hit Define Home. Moved the sled around a few times and it always returned to the correct spot when I hit the home button but I notice on the left side of the screen the cursor is above centre of what I assume is the work space area. See attached photo

I think I know what is going on here, it might be easier to see when you have a gcode file open. What the “Define Home” button does is to move the thing that you want to cut out around on the sheet.

Lets say you wanted to cut out the same rectangle three times. You could open the file, run one, then move the machine over and press “Define Home” in a new space and then cut another rectangle there. It’s basically a way to move where the shape is cut. You can also right click on the work area and define home that way.

The vertical offset not being in the center sounds like something different. My guess is that it’s a calibration issue. I would try running the calibration process again and see if the vertical offset goes away.

Thanks. I am currently running Ground Control on an old windows computer. From what I have read it sounds like the calibration process is easier with Makerverse. I do have access to a 64 bit windows machine but will have to wait a week or so. I have Makerverse downloaded to my MacBook Pro but do not want to leave it in the shop where my CNC is located. I am thinking I will try the calibration process using it in the short term if it is possible to then move the calibration file to the windows machine when I get it. Is this feasible?

1 Like

Try webcontrol for your windows comp. Holey calibration is so easy its awesome! And it has a button to flash your firmware so you don’t have to install it manually.

-Tim

1 Like

You can absolutely do that :slight_smile:

with webcontrol, but not with makerverse…

1 Like

At the very least it is possible to write down the calibration values and enter them manually, right?

1 Like

It would be nice if that were possible. While the underlying math is similar, the inputs are totally different. The makerverse calibration holes are measured from the edge of the board, not with respect to each other and the target hole position (distance from the edge of the board) is specified in the calibration by the user, so it can be any number of values. It is one thing to have a grid of 6 holes, but another thing to know where they should have been with respect to the edge of the board.

1 Like

But the end result is the motor spacing and the ring size, right? If we know those values, is there more that we need to know?

there’s also chain sag and stretch correction

1 Like

I’m currently going through the exact same issue.

I thought the same as you, there really should be a “Re-center” button, but I understand if that doesnt exist.

But it makes a hell of a lot of sense to have that, and im sure it would have been added if it were possible.

Does ground control have a right click and return to center option like webcontrol?