Dewalt router LED always on

The router is equipped with cutting area LED illumination. It switches on when you start the router. I’d it to switch on right away when you plug in the router. Apart from the fact that an additonal LED always looks better it also works as a safety feature. Currently I have no way to tell if the router is powered apart from looking at the plug. An additional indicator would not hurt. Especially since it can be a bit confusing with 3 machines (also vacuum) operating at the same time.
I have a soldering iron but am looking for some guidance on the router wiring.
q

1 Like

I wouldnlook for a used one of the same model or similar. Something you can disassemble and not worry about breaking. See howbthe wiring goes for the LEDs, and also do some electrical testing to see how much power is coming from the supply and make sure you can power more then what they currently are providing. Another option would be to get some 12v led strips and a 12v power supply and just run them separately. Doesnt give you the option of knowing if the router is powered on or not. But it does give you luminescence

2 Likes

This isn’t really relevant but on my chain Maslow with the 611 I used a SSR relay for gcode router on/off all plugged into my dust extractor. The lights were always on regardless of the relays state. I assume the relay and dust extractor leaked enough power to run the leds but not the motor when off. No actual knowledge as to why.

2 Likes

Being able to control the router with gcode would be ideal. I’m sure that feature will be available at some point. But your relay solution made me think that for now I could also use a master/slave switch. When Maslow starts to draw current it would activate the router.
And for the LEDs; I bought a 230v pilot light and connect that to the router cable for a clear visual indication on when the router is live.

1 Like

I investigated the router LED working area lights a bit more. Although they are embedded in the router base, the cable that feeds power to them is easily accesible. It is right on top of the router motor, visible when you remove the ventilated yellow body part. Two thin wires are attached to the router board through a white connector similar to the ones used to connect the maslow motors. The LEDs run on 5-6v DC.

Also, the router (at least the EU version) appears to have a no-volt-release circuit. When power to the router is cut off and restored , it will not automatically turn on again even though the router switch remains in the on-position. The LED apparently is not behind this circuit as it will turn on.

1 Like