Failure compiling arduino in firmware

Truth be told I have been running the Maslow for a bit now and this was the first time I have tried updating gc and firmware. I never have had my arduino page from firmware compile correctly always gave a failure error message. This time it was this: Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 8), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

C:\Users\The Merry Yeoman\AppData\Local\Temp\\Firmware-1.21\cnc_ctrl_v1\cnc_ctrl_v1.ino:36:20: fatal error: Maslow.h: No such file or directory

#include “Maslow.h”


compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

I wonder why I was able to move forward before but this time what I am more concerned with is how to synchronize the firmware with gc. This is one reason why I hadn’t updated anything yet. Should I just load my old version of Ground control as I never had problems with it (that weren’t resolved)?

Did you unzip the firmware file? I often do the unzip, and then accidently open the zip file instead of the unzipped version.


The missing motor.h looks exactly what @Dustcloud mentioned. In the Arduino software you would see only one tab, instead of all modules

1 Like

In theory you don’t ever have to compile the firmware again. I got tired of seeing people struggle so I found a solution.

I do it for you -

I make a single download file with everything needed no matter what system you are using called Maslow Complete with each update I make a new file.

See this:

I hope that helps.

Thank you


I agree people should not be required to compile the firmeware, but I also think
we need to make it easier to do so (possibly a video on doing this from

we want people to easily become developers, so we want to make the barrier to
entry as low as possible, not just provide pre-compiled binaries and leave it
hard to do.

(teach a man to fish…)

David Lang


I haven’t ever tried to upload/compile firmware without failure. Does this even make sense? Finally, however, I opened Ground Control without the message that I was running the wrong firmware. It would be success except I did nothing different. I believe my computer problem + my lack of understanding is getting the better of me and my situation. I attempted to get some SketchUp files transferred from one computer that I have troubles with (before it crashed on me or something) and over to the other computer that gets caught in an infinite loop if I allow it to update. I was really hoping to be able to use SketchUp plans to cut something from the Maslow but don’t understand how to open what files.

I also have been having trouble updating the firmware. I have quadruple checked that I am not trying to do it from within the zip folder.
The error messages are:
Arduino: 1.8.7 (Windows 10), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Uno”

sketch\System.cpp: In function ‘void setPWMPrescalers(int)’:

System.cpp:310:5: error: ‘TCCR3B’ was not declared in this scope

 TCCR3B &= ~prescalerEraser;   // this operation sets the three bits in TCCR3B to 0


System.cpp:311:5: error: ‘TCCR4B’ was not declared in this scope

 TCCR4B &= ~prescalerEraser;   // this operation sets the three bits in TCCR4B to 0


exit status 1
‘TCCR3B’ was not declared in this scope

It doesn’t say failure but also doesn’t say complete or upload successful or something like that.

Thanks! You alerted me to a new version of the Arduino IDE :grin:
I think the answer to your issue will be to choose ‘Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega2560’ from the ‘Tools/Board’ menu. Give that a try…


Thanks! I will give that a go!

1 Like

Arg! That was it! I thought I selected the correct one! Thanks again!


I still do not know how to get past IDE 1.8.5

You can download the latest version here.

Updates frequently break compatibility (say what you want about WinDoze but they mostly learned that one a lontime ago. Lots of MSDOS 1.0 programs still run), often best to wait a while before installing the latest blu^^^wonder, er, version

1 Like

I see above reference to 1.8.7.
I have downloaded 1.8.6.
I have extracted.
I’ve uploaded.
I’ve restarted.
I’ve been through this before and finally it synched up somehow. The problem with this scenario is that I don’t learn what to do differently in order that it go smoothly.
I believe my computer is messed up but would love if I were proven wrong so that I had some control over the results.