Firmware update timeout, tried everything on the forums

Hi,

I am trying to update the firmware on my Maslow Arduino using Windows 10. I followed the advice in the other forums and still no luck. I tried version 1.25 and 1.26 of the firmware and made sure the folder was unzipped, I am using COM 3 which shows up as the Arduino Due programming port, and I made sure no other programs are running that might have a port conflict. I also see the USB light is on when the cable is plugged into the program port and I see that the 12 VDC light is on with the power supply cable plugged in. When I try to upload the firmware I keep getting the same timeout error.

I found another forum that said to press the reset button on the board just before uploading, and that also gave the same timeout error. I did take the top board off and tried pressing an “erase” button as well. This issue persisted before I pressed the erase or reset buttons, neither of those changed anything.

screenshot looks like the setting are correct, all the libraries are there.

Error copy:
"Arduino: 1.8.13 (Windows 10), Board: “Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

Sketch uses 57294 bytes (22%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes.

Global variables use 2009 bytes (24%) of dynamic memory, leaving 6183 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes.

An error occurred while uploading the sketch

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File → Preferences.
"

Update: I just tried on another computer as well, same timeout issue. Seems to be isolated to the Arduino.

Device Manager says the device is working properly as well.

I’m several hours into troubleshooting this, nothing is helping so far. Any help is very much appreciated.

try switching the output mode:

That is if you are using the Arduino mega… your control panel says you have an arduino Due. If that is the case, then you need to install the arduino Due 32 bit drivers and you have to use the Due code, that isnt hte same as the one you show in the arduino IDE It looks like this:

. check out this wiki post that describes how to do it.

Thanks for the reply! The instructions said to select Mega, but yes my board says DUE shield on it. I will try it out.

OK, I selected the Due as the board as you suggested and now I have a new error about “no such file or directory.” I saw that this error can be from trying to select the firmware file from a zipped folder, but I made sure to extract this folder already. Also you can see from the screenshot that the libraries tabs are visible. Any idea on this error? Full message copied below. Looks like it’s failing at the first #include line.

Error message:
"Arduino: 1.8.13 (Windows 10), Board: “Arduino Due (Programming Port)”

In file included from C:\Users\jtana\Desktop\Firmware-1.26\Firmware-1.26\cnc_ctrl_v1\cnc_ctrl_v1.ino:36:0:

Maslow.h:24:20: fatal error: avr/io.h: No such file or directory

#include <avr/io.h>

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1

avr/io.h: No such file or directory

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File → Preferences.
"

Also, I tried the serial monitor test from your other forum instructions and sent “digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, HIGH);” to blink the LED and the LED did in fact blink, so it seems like I have communication.

I sent this Blink program example and it worked: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/BuiltInExamples/Blink

I just get the "no such file or directory error with the firmware still.

Oh my gosh, I figured it out. I was using the online assembly instructions for the Maslow but they were for a Mega Arduino, so I was trying to upload the wrong firmware. I found the Due firmware on github and It worked.

Thank you for your help!

Online instructions confusing though!

2 Likes

Glad you got it going!