Arduino Timeout Issue with firmware update

I am trying to set up my Maslow for the first time. I am using a Mac running El Capitan. When I follow the steps in the assembly guide for Firmware Setup I get the below message when uploading to the Maslow. I open the Firmware, select the board type, select the processor type, and select the port that shows the arduino. I can even get the board info if I choose that option. No matter how many times I try I get an Timeout message. I do get a Done Uploading message at the end, but I don’t think it is doing anything because if I move on to Ground Control I cannot get the motors to work during the test even after setting the port in Ground Control I get a Timeout message also in Ground Control.

I did try the steps on a PC running windows 10 and I was able to get it to work corectly and test the motors, but Ground Control was glitchy, plus I want to run the Maslow from my Mac.

Help would be highly appreciative.

Matt

Message from Arduino app:
Archiving built core (caching) in: /var/folders/9b/l4rl7l495qnbdndjdb0np9pc0000gn/T/arduino_cache_794907/core/core_arduino_avr_mega_cpu_atmega2560_689ae5f81b8d103568be3d224f5a69d5.a
avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:01:35
Copyright © 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright © 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/Users/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino9/etc/avrdude.conf"
     User configuration file is "/(I removed this location for privacy)/.avrduderc"
     User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : /dev/cu.usbmodem1D11
     Using Programmer              : wiring
     Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
     AVR Part                      : ATmega2560
     Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
     PAGEL                         : PD7
     BS2                           : PA0
     RESET disposition             : dedicated
     RETRY pulse                   : SCK
     serial program mode           : yes
     parallel program mode         : yes
     Timeout                       : 200
     StabDelay                     : 100
     CmdexeDelay                   : 25
     SyncLoops                     : 32
     ByteDelay                     : 0
     PollIndex                     : 3
     PollValue                     : 0x53
     Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
       Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
       ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
       eeprom        65    10     8    0 no       4096    8      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
       flash         65    10   256    0 yes    262144  256   1024  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
       lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
       hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
       efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
       lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
       calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
       signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : Wiring
     Description     : Wiring
     Programmer Model: AVRISP
     Hardware Version: 15
     Firmware Version Master : 2.10
     Vtarget         : 0.0 V
     SCK period      : 0.1 us

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
     avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9801 (probably m2560)
     avrdude: reading input file "/var/folders/9b/l4rl7l495qnbdndjdb0np9pc0000gn/T/arduino_build_829115/cnc_ctrl_v1.ino.hex"
     avrdude: writing flash (53688 bytes):

Writing | avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
     #avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
     ##avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
     ##avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

***This message shows up on the message bar***
     Done Uploading

I don’t think it loaded either. :frowning:
I could be a permission issue for the user on the port used.

There are some others seeing the same issue here:

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=83079.0

It sounds like uninstalling the Arduino IDE and driver and reinstalling them might help

I am the admin on the computer. Would it be a user issue if I have admin rights?

I will try that again. I have uninstalled arduino three times and ground controll twice.

1 Like

What model of mac is this? Are you plugging directly into a USB port on the Mac? Try creating a new user as an admin use the new user to set everything up.

Thank you

If GC is running, it captures the serial port and the Arduino IDE can’t get to it. Make sure GC isn’t running.
You can unplug the USB connection and plug it into a different USB port as another way to release whatever might have control of the port. Also, the Arduino IDE might need to be restarted to detect the released port.

1 Like

Great suggestion @blurfl!

It is an early 2008 Mac book pro. I am plugging straight into a usb on the computer. Last night, I did try uninstalling arduino and ground control and creating a new user with admin rights. Received the same timeout messages.

1 Like

So last night I tried uninstalling arduino and ground control and associated folders, creating a new user, reinstalling arduino and updating the firmware before downloading ground control. I received the same timeout messages. I decided to try it on another Mac book I have laying around. Everything worked fine on the other MacBook running the same OS X version. I think I am going to wipe the first Mac book Pro and reinstall everything from scratch to see if that fixes is it.

4 Likes

On another forum we found that speific Macs had major issues with USB timeouts and that Apple support wasn’t interested trying to resolve them. The olnly fix was another Mac. If you’re interested trying searching Printrbottalk.com. User (and exaulted forum owner and admin) Plexus did a lot of testing. The problem wasn’t restricted to Printrbots. Iirc it was around 2014 or so, but still shows occasionally. The plexter, after a lot of effort, finally found a used Mac that worked, never resolved it on a failing machine

I have also noticed in my ‘08 MacBook that if you have any semblance of conflicting drivers loaded (Easel’s machine setup driver for instance) you will occasionally and seamingly randomly timeout in Arduino and GroundControl. I happened upon this accidentally when I’d been running ground control without incident for about 2 weeks and I installed the Easel driver and immediately timed out GC and all of a sudden began causing sporadic timeout issues for both. Needless to say, I’ve removed the Easel driver.

4 Likes

I think you’ve put your finger on the problem. It’s easy to forget about software like Easel that use serial ports and maybe don’t release them when done. Often “Nach einem ‘boot’, wird alles gut.” (get Giggle-translate to speak that) especially if you keep track of what you run after rebooting…

3 Likes

So I did a fresh install on my Mac Book Pro 2008 and still had the timeout issue. So I started looking for other arduino forums where they were having the same timeout issue on the same computer running the same OS. I found one where a person suggested using a USB hub between the arduino and computer. So I went against everything I have been taught in trouble shooting and tried it with a USB hub and it works perfectly. Who would have thought adding a hub into the line helps fix the problem?

This next question might be better in another forum post. Has anyone had luck running the Maslow from a chrome book?

2 Likes

Chrome book - Yes. I can’t remember who but I know there is one User here that reported the things they are using on a chrome book. The use of a hub. Is it a powered hub? Were getting down to brass tacks but USB chip is used on your Mac?

Thank you

1 Like

I don’t know what USB chip is used in the computer. I know the controller driver is Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCIPCI. The USB hub I am using is a powered hub, but I am using it passively getting its power from the computer. It is a D-Link DUB-H7. I am surprised it is working with the hub. I can’t complain. Thanks for everyone’s input.

2 Likes

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/get_down_to_brass_tacks

As long as it works and your happy with it were good.

Thank you

1 Like