First Custom Sign Aluminum and PVC Project

I had that problem and solved it by putting the router and vac on a different circuit/breaker then the laptop and arduino/shield. Problem totally went away.

1 Like

Upward is the best.

Looks great by the way Oscar! Very tempted by the Maslow. Wondering how time consuming it is to use and how reliable it is? Can’t argue with cost and concept, think it’s great, and if I was just hobbying I would definitely get one! Just can’t afford to waste time and material on jobs for customers.

Hi @Phoebe_Fox
The Maslow is not a fast machine by any stretch, so there is that to consider. It was created for hobbyists, and I believe it is mainly used by hobbyists, but I also know that a few people have used it on commercial projects.
As far as time to use, once it is set up, it is pretty quick to go from design to product (again, taking into account that it is not a fast machine). I have knocked a couple projects out in a matter of hours, starting from the initial design.
I would say if you have a high volume of commercial work to cut, then you probably will want to invest in a faster, more robust machine, but along with that will likely be a ten fold increase in price at the least.

When it comes to wasting material, that will likely be contingent on how well you build, set-up, and calibrate your machine. One chain skip could ruin a project and sheet of plywood, but problems like that can be mitigated in the machine design. I would say that wasted time and material are always a risk with CNC, regardless of the machine. Just as it is a risk with conventional fabrication.

2 Likes

I would agree with Kieth. This is not a high production machine (also lacks the high price of one) but on the same note, I have been able to produce some high-quality results. If you are looking to get started and work your way up to a full production machine this is a great choice. Below are some pictures of completed projects…

As for material waste I can say most of the “errors” that resulted in waste were of my own making learning the machine, calibration and material settings. The issues I was having were solved by replacing the vacuum hose with an anti-static hose from Rockler.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info. It certainly seems fun. I wouldn’t be using it all the time but would be for customers when I do. Could you walk away from it and leave it running. Normally I have a multitude of tasks to do, and

That looks great is Oscar! You have had some very nice results. Is that cutting acrylic, foamex and ACM? I really want to have a go a CNCing and like the idea of being able to play around with it and see what works… Then maybe one day I will be able to afford the 100k you need for a proper one haha. This looks perfect to learn on. Were these projects a long and mistake ridden for you? Do you have to sit and watch it while it’s cutting out can you walk away? I would love to have a go on one, are there any places you can see one in action?

I have cut Acrylic, Foam, ACM, Wood and PVC. I have gotten the machine calibrated were I am able to work another projects while it works. It’s been my experience with this and all machines you shouldn’t leave them alone with out checking in from time to time, especially cutting wood. There are some stories about fires being started by the router (even commercial).

https://forums.maslowcnc.com/search?q=fire

I would say the first couple of projects were longer than needed to be while I learned the settings I should use feed rate, depth pass etc. Some materials alot easier to cut than other and will cut in half the time as there isn’t much resistance as wood or harder materials.

There is a map of users you may check there to see if there is anyone near your area willing to let you see it in action.

There are also some videos online …

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=maslow+cnc&page=&utm_source=opensearch

Thanks for all your help Oscar

It’s a bad idea to leave any CNC running and walk away from it, but the maslow
is worse than most (again,this is a $500 hobbyiest machine, not a $5K+ business
machine)

there are people using Maslows for customer projects, but a lot of them graduate
pretty quickly into wanting faster machines, and so end up getting more
expensive machines. You can view the maslow as a cheap way to see if this is
something you will use frequently or not.

David Lang

I’ll take my time reading and watching threads while I work out where I can put it first ha! Best to learn the mechanics of the way a machine runs to understand the progression to the better machines. Thanks for all the comments and genuine responses. Don’t worry. I’m not expecting miracles. Correct calibration will also be key I’m sure.