As a follow up to this first cut with inkscape, I did get the outline finished. spraypainted it black and sanded it off.
The image was cut in one gcode file with the outline from a second file The first file to the second file there was an offset in the home position and I eyeballed it and the outline cut was a little low. The laptop running groundcontrol went to sleep over on the right and “lost” its position, then the z axis when into an up-down loop then the sled plowed upward. This was a demo to help with WAF and it was approved though it looks “dirty” because I used a rougher surface cheap plywood.
I learned that in inkscape the gcodetools orientation points hold the key for depth and home. If generating several different paths, don’t use different files, use different layers with the same orientation points or orientation points that are overlapping. Generate gcode one layer at a time. I think I will be doing one layer per tool plus one layer for the final pass with the tabs. I hope to cut a single tool piece tomorrow with the tab layer (the final 3 mm) a dashed line instead of manually inserted tabs.