Inkscape G-Code Order

Does anyone know how InkScape determines the order in which it creates G-code from Paths? I have been playing with this for a while and I cannot determine what order each item will end up in my g-code file. I resort to editing the G-code to put them in optimal cutting order, but…you know, I would rather just get the items in the right order, whatever that is? Thanks! JEH

I’ve used inkscape for design but not to generate gcode. I used carbide create for that. It’s free and easy.

-Tim

1 Like

As I’ve tried to research the inkscape gcode add-on, the response that I’ve
gotten is that it’s abandonware and should not be used.

David Lang

I can’t speak for the g-code utilities. I have had experience with a machine embroidery tool. In this case, you can use the object explorer to see the order of operations. The stitches are generated in the z-order. I would guess that the g-code exporter would use the same logic to be consistent. I don’t know how it would treat one object hiding another whether it would split the cut path where the objects cross or not.

Thank you all for the response. I suppose that freeware has it’s drawbacks! It is ashamed about Inkscape not supporting the tool, as it is actually pretty decent once you figure it out. Except for the obvious problem of non-optimization of the paths…which is pretty dang important! Thanks again. JEH

there is a gcode optimizer on the forum here that may clean it up for you, you
can give it a try.

David Lang

Inkscape’s gcodetools are old, unsupported for around 10 years, and long surpassed by better and easier to use software. The free version of Carbide Create is a much better option

I spent a long time using inkscape to gcodetools thinking it was amazing. Then I tried estlcam and haven’t gone back once. The tab option was so much simpler to just select it in estlcam rather than create the break and make multiple layers in inkscape. There are many more available options by simply exporting svg and using a CAM program. I resisted using the stand alone CAM program, but after trying it, it works rather well. I really like the idea of going straight from design to cut, but I would rather use freecad to cnc or blender to cnc. A maslow/grbl gcode post processor on coreldraw would be worth paying for in my opinion.

Ever considered saving an SVG out of Inkscape and doing the CAM part (ie gcode generation) in jscut instead? It’s free and should give you the control you’re looking for.

1 Like