First project: AtFab stool

It’s just an AtFab stool, but it was a decent way to figure out if I got the calibration, feeds and speeds correct.

11 Likes

Looking good!

I’m actually not sure we’ve seen one of those around here before. Nice work!

Nice job! can you share the speed and setting cut! thanks!

15ipm, 13k rpm,.25in depth of cut, dual flute Diablo straight upcut bit.

I had a LOT of chatter (more like a screaming howl) on the first layer cuts, but I think I can probably fix it by choking up on the bit some more and re-zeroing my z-axis. For all the noise though, it was still cutting okay.

@talyrath I bought a diablo bit from homedepot because I needed it immediately. I thought I’d try the “straight” bit to see how it performed. So far that has been the poorest performing bit I’ve ever used. Was this the one you used:

NOT recommended:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-1-4-in-x-1-in-Carbide-Straight-Router-Bit-DR04108/100660650

This is the one I’m using: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-1-4-in-x-1-in-Carbide-Up-Spiral-Router-Bit-DR75102/100660697

1 Like

My first project was also a stool! :smiley: They make for a good intro project.

That is typical of 2 flute tooling on the Maslow. With the machine’s max feedrate around 800 mm/min (~30 ipm) and the Rigid router’s RPM range of 10k-24k, the machine cannot move at speeds required to maintain the correct chip load. This results in rubbing, which is where that “scream” comes from. You may have more success running it at the 10k RPM and the 800mm/min (30 ipm) feed rate, although when I tried that it was still rubbing. According to my math, a 1/4" two flute upshear needs to move at a little over 2000 mm/min (~80 ipm) to get the right chipload.

I’ve had much more success with single flute tooling. This tool is my go-to, and it cuts real well. I typically run it at 12k rpm and 600 mm/min (~24 ipm) with 6.35mm (0.250") step downs.

1 Like

it is possible to adjust the router to run at slower speeds (take the cover off
the top and ther are two pots on the speed controller board, one sets the low
speed, the other the high)

IIRC, it’s possible to slow it down to 5-6k

it does seem much quieter with a single flute bit.

David Lang

3 Likes

Huh, never taken that cover off before. Might just have to play with that when I get a chance, since slower speeds would certainly help in some situations, like this one.

there is a thread that goes into the details, including pictures with pointers.

David Lang

2 Likes

Took some digging to find it, for those interested this is the link:

I freakin’ love the mentality of the people here. I’m going to have to give this a try when I get my machine back up and running.

2 Likes

we need to move things like this to the wiki or otherwise make it easier to find

thanks for digging it up

David Lang

4 Likes

If it doesn’t work, take it apart.
If it still doesn’t work, take it apart MORE.

3 Likes