Frame design Ideas

Is there or should the be a section on frame designs with measured drawings? My question right now is are the Min/Max sizes the frame has to be and is the it has to have’s in a frame design? I have seen a couple of designs and the idea of using the maslow to make a permanent frame to me seems like a waste of time and material.and others to me seem to use even more lumber (lumber isn’t cheap in my area).
So My thought Is I would like to design a frame to share with the community that would only use the needed lumber that is easily available and low cost,and wouldn’t require the temp frame the the maslow now uses to make a frame.
So if anyone has info on the frame has to be xx wide xx tall arms have to be xx apart that kind of info wold be helpful and requested. any sketch-up you have been playing around with would be helpful too.

2 Likes

There isn’t any lumber used in the temporary frame that isn’t reused on the
permanent frame

The entire maslow (and all the parts) are available in an onshape document

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/541f931ef1cd300726f54cf3/w/2e46e46e415d8c274b77c05c/e/dc537623d9a8106ae357f34c

create an account and then go to that link.

1 Like

@dlang I think the right motor arm flat cut out piece is missing in this model. I know you could jut cut out an extra left and flip it over, but let’s be honest someone at sometime is going to loose it over it.

Unless the piece is hidden. Never used OnShape and it’s so slow I got tired of waiting on it while trying to locate that piece.

@dlang I think the right motor arm flat cut out piece is missing in this
model. I know you could jut cut out an extra left and flip it over, but let’s
be honest someone at sometime is going to loose it over it.

the two arm covers are identical, so there is only one part and you cut two of
them, the cnc cut list shows this.

The same thing is done with most of the parts.

the part is there on the maslow tab, but it’s currently marked as hidden (it’s
the greyed out part on the left part1(27) @bar, you may want to change this. I
may spend some time going through and naming (or rebuilding) a bunch of parts
for this. I learned a lot yesterday about the features of onshape and some nicer
ways to do some of the things.

Unless the piece is hidden. Never used OnShape and it’s so slow I got tired of waiting on it while trying to locate that piece.

It is a browser based CAD, so it’s not the fastest around, but I find it very
usable even on a relatively slow connection (but on a laptop with lots of RAM)

I would expect that the fusion360 and skechup browser based versions would have
similar performance.

1 Like

I’m a Noob to CNC but is there some where I need to go to download the G-code? to make the parts for the frame? what apps do I need to have to use the maslow?

Found the old discussion on a frame alternate here:

And been reading and figuring… that design and others all seem to have the issue with the bottom workpiece “support board” sticking out enough to potentially interfere with the sled… I feel like there is some obvious solution to that issue that I can’t quite come up with.

Figured I would toss it out…

I have a Maslow “kit” sitting here next to me, but life is going to keep me from actually putting it together for a couple of weeks (traveling), so figure I can be planning in my head, anyhow :slight_smile:

And been reading and figuring… that design and others all seem to have the
issue with the bottom workpiece “support board” sticking out enough to
potentially interfere with the sled… I feel like there is some obvious
solution to that issue that I can’t quite come up with.

The problem is that if it’s too thin it doesn’t support the material well, if
it’s thicker than the material you are cutting, it gets in the way.

a 2x4 is 1.5" thick, so 3/4"[1] sticks out beyond the back panel. So if you are
cutting 1/4" material you have a problem

The ‘simple’ answer is to put another piece of material behind what you are
cutting, say a 1/2" pice of plywood.

The harder answer is to cut down the bottom support board so that it’s not as
thick, but that makes it harder to hold material on the machine. There’s no one
right answer for this.

[1] since 3/4" plywood is actually a little less than 3/4" thick, a little more
than 3/4" of the 2x4 sticks out, but the curved edge of the sled should be able
to handle this.

I had an idea, but not sure I can describe it :slight_smile:

Instead of a full width support, have 2-3 “slide in/slide out” supports with a flange that points up. Have the flange be a thin plastic (or metal, but plastic would allow for mistaken hits by the router and not destroy the bit). Slide the supports “out”, load the workpiece, whatever reasonable thickness, slide them in until nearly flush. As you say, the sled, if it got unlucky and hit one of the flanges, should be able to ride over it.

May be more trouble than it’s worth.

What about wooden clamps like a regular cnc or maybe a series of dog holes along the bottom and pop out dogs? like a workbench.

1 Like

What about wooden clamps like a regular cnc or maybe a series of dog holes along the bottom and pop out dogs? like a workbench.

The thing to remember when considering popout supports is that a 4x8 sheet of
plywood is pretty heavy, and you are going to end up dropping it on the supports
at some point.

build accordingly.

If it was just one ya might break a !/2" dia dowel but you would have multiples of most likely 1" dia +, so chance of breaking is minimal and even if you crack one just pop another in.

1 Like