G2/G3 coordinated move Pull Request

I’ve opened a PR in Firmware - G2/G3 z axis coordinated move #473 that should make the helical drilling and pocketing code in ESTLCAM work correctly.

–Edit: updated PR# and link to point to updated/corrected version.
Full confession - I’ve run it in the simulator, but not with a bit in the router and wood.
Tested and appears to work correctly (didn’t have a good ‘Helical drill’ example, but a large arc with a changing Z depth cuts correctly.)

3 Likes

Fantastic! When will this make it in to the stable release?

1 Like

If it is merged before 11/1, yes. You can vote :+1: or :-1: here :grin:

@mfpiechowski, You’re pretty well versed in EstlCAM - if you have time and the inclination to try it against EstlCAM’s helical functions before then, your effort would be much appreciated. Here is a .zip file of the sketch. Firmware-G2-G3-Z-Axis-coordinated-move.zip (108.0 KB)

Note that you’ll see a message from GC about the version number not matching GC’s release number, so long as you’re using GC v1.21 or newer the mismatch shouldn’t matter.

1 Like

Thanks for posting the firmware image. I will see what I can do as far as testing, but don’t go holding your breath. My Maslow is still in a few too many pieces to use, fixing that is on this weekend’s to-do list. Not sure I will get my Z-axis completely assembled this weekend, but I sure intend to try.

Anyhow, thanks a bunch for your efforts, I did vote to get this included. Helical drilling and pocketing are super useful on the smaller machine, I tend to use it by default now, especially when cutting aluminum.

3 Likes