Maslow Home Maslow Community Garden

Gearbox failure - need replacement

First and for all: how unfortunate!
Secondly: did you open up the motor? Maybe you can repair it yourself!
Lastly: you had a bit of luck I think… The bit was milling air. But if it was stuck somewhere in would, the friction could have caused a fire. I suggest to, at least, install some kind of heat or smoke detector on the router sled.

Could we use one of the Aux ports for a pause / play button?

Thank you

we already have that in the software, what’s the added benefit of having it in
the firmware?

sounds like a bad gear. open up the gear box and take out the gears and post photo. several people have reported the plastic gear stripping.

Gonna go to work today and grab the motor … will post in a couple hours

Well … I have found the problem @Gero was correct. Gear failure

Anyone know a good dentist?

Apparently I’m about to learn to fix a gear assembly. I’m tempted to model and 3d print a petg gear today.

As you can clearly see with the metal fragments everywhere and the lack of teeth … This gear is fried.

What do I do? Anyone got any good tutorials? Lol

Whats the Weak Link in the design?
Another left motor gear failure, need a solution

well I would email etomn, the manufacturer and see if they will sell you a replacement gear. they are probablay worth 10 cents in china or ask bar if he has any spares?

Sounds like we all need a few spares…

how is the gear box held onto the round motor?
edited to add. the gear box is held on with two phillips screws, took mine apart to see.

You can get spare motors -

Also there are gear scripts for openscad.

If you print a gear let me know how it works.

I just ordered a spare motor I’m tempted to make a silicone cast so we could make replacements. Honestly I don’t have the time.

Anyone here good wit silicone? Mike you know anyone through work? The reason to choose silicone is you could do resin or metal - I’d do at least 5 molds. You still have a good gear on the opposite side?

Just thinking out loud

Thank you

Has Anyone else with stripped Gearbox opened it up?
Is this always the same gear that fails?

Yes others have stripped the gear -

Here is some good info on the motor -

Whats inside the gearbox/motor?

I reached out to the motor manufacture that shows a North American distribution point. When I asked them about buying from them they admitted they don’t have North American location and said I need to buy from Bar.

I’m still weighing options to see if we will offer a kit - the kit has wondered from $300 to an upcoming $600.

I always wanted a more plug n play solution. I would like to see a more 3d printer like solution. Touchscreen computer built in ready to run just add lumber.

I think a full kit with router, on board computer, again just add frame would be a reasonable @ $1000.

Just a few thoughts

Thank you

Newbie question.

Stepper motors such as the nema 23 or 34 won’t work because they basically shift into neutral when they are not actively turning? And is the speed not controllable with out the gearing?

I’m sure someone else can answer better then I can. However there are options to use stepper motors but many good ones to not use them. Stepper motors are “ON” or “OFF” the behavior is the opposite of what we get with these motors. When power is lost the motors hold the sled, with a stepper loss of power would let the sled freefall. Steppers typically are “dumb” devices, it’s assumed they followed the signals given. Steppers with encoders are quite expensive. There is more to it but this covers the basic problems I believe.

Thank you

I definitely know people that could cast this no problem. But how do we get it to metal from a silicone mold? We’re about to make a bunch of molds so if there is a way to make this happen I’m totally game.

I have the good motor and I just ordered 3 more last night. Thinking I might try to get a second Maslow on the go with the spare shield and mega you gave me.

Might try to get a sled laser cut too. I really like that idea for maximum percision

I’m gong to try a MDF sled on a precision CNC when I get a chance. I also want a Acrylic laser cut sled. I have made 2 sleds and feel making it by hand is by far the fastest solution.

Silicone can withstand some wicked heat so I think you could do aluminum casting or pot metal. Metal gears might make something else break but whatever.

I was / am getting a Maslow together for the UK office. I got 2 motors and Z kit from Maslow. A little disappointed that the motor cables were not included as I had ordered the same thing in the past and they were. It must have to do with shutting down. I was able to get 1 set of gears , a set of motor cables, and a UK power supply from the surplus site. I can fake everything else. I think my total cost to get it together was $320. Of course we don’t need shields - lol

Keep me in the loop on molds please. We can go PM on this too.

Thank you

The inside of my gearbox looks different than what is pictured here…

I wonder why that is?

please post pictures.

I already did. They are like 4 comments up

Wait a minute … I’m pretty sure this top sprocket doesn’t do anything …