Ground control on Tablet?

I looked at the Best Buy site. the description says it comes with a USB-C cable, but makes no mention of ANY USB ports in the description. Is it possible this uses USB-C for charging, but doesn’t support an OTG adapter or USB 2.1 protocols? That might be why they’re clearancing it so cheap.​

More likely you must power it by usb C for any long operations requiring a HUB capable of being hub and charging at the same time. Effectively wiping out the savings.

Thank you

Would like to know more about that.
Edit: Because running linux for over a year without a single drop.

I figured some sort of hub would be needed anyway for port conversion:

A friend is using the same tablet to drive his laser cutter. I just wasn’t sure if Ground Control had specific memory / processor recommendations.

Something like this is what I had in mind. Not sure if the graphics card can handle it. I’d have to look into it:

RCA Cambio 10" 2-in-1 Notebook Tablet with 32GB Storage, Intel Atom Z8350 Processor, 2GB RAM, Windows 10, Includes Keyboard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077WTB2LY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Cv75Ab343S3EB

The best buy site said my local store had one in stock, so I headed there. It has a single usb-a port on the keyboard half. The sales rep said it would also take a usb-c port expander, so I went ahead and bought it.

2 Likes

BTW, for a little more money, you can also pick up re-furbished chrome books at Best Buy. You can actually run Linux apps from inside Chrome Desktop now by installing crouton.

A little more technically involved, but you would have the benefit of more than one USB port and a dedicated power port.

1 Like

WHAAAA???

So cool. I’ve been waiting for something like this. Definitely trying this on my Wife’s Samsung tonight.

My kids were nice enough to give me there old chrome book, after they snapped the hinges off the lid, nothing a little duct tape couldn’t fix. :roll_eyes:

It runs GroundControl and a few other apps, and uses the G drive to transfer nc files over from my other PC.

2 Likes

@Gero it was an Intel Atom 1.6 dual core with 4G Ram and an SSD running Bodhi Linux. The USB would say it was disconnected 1-3 hours in. Conversely, my Surface sitting right next to it hasn’t had any issues. (Same cables, etc.) It might just be susceptibility to RF, some hidden sleep settings, or even just extra interference from the PSU. I definitely didn’t exhaust troubleshooting on the Linux setup. I just took the lazy way out so I could spend more time learning to use my Maslow.

1 Like

All I own a Shapeoko 3. I bought it, put it together and ran into 2 major issues. One was a firmware bug, I’m thankful for because it led me to the Maslow CNC. The second one was a bit more elusive. I was able to run a very simple test that used a pen to write the name Shapeoko on a sheet of paper. When I tried other things it acted erratically from seeming to crash to wavy lines that should have been straight. The problem turned out to be the Atom PC I was using. When I bought a older i5 laptop a Lenovo T420 all my issue went away. At issue was the speed the Atom chip was issuing commands. For $150 I was able to get a 15 inch laptop, Windows 10 well known hardware, Linux compatible.

There are many low cost solutions - Currently I use a Raspberry Pi 3B with Ubuntu Mate on the Maslow. I remote to it’s desktop from any PC, Tablet or Phone in my network. I have a Amazon tablet as my main screen if I’m not on my Mac Book.

Here is the point to my reply. Soon I will be cutting some Teak in the $200 + a sheet range. A crash or sleep in the middle of it would completely out weight the cost of a decent laptop.

I do buy and test many low power PC’s to see how far I can stretch them. I just wouldn’t personally choose to run a CNC that way.

Just my 2 cents

Thank you

Maybe I missed something but how do I install ground control on this android table I bought. It’s the same RCA one that was recommended.

There is no working GC for android at this time.
Win$, Mac or Linux are the options.

Maybe it’s running on some google OS, everything is google.

I’ve read in posts about the chrome book running.
What exact model do you have? Perhaps there is a chance to install win or linux.

11 Galileo pro

Only had little time for a search but the lack of what I did not find and the little I found suggests that there is no, or no easy way to put a windows or a linux on it.

I thought we did have a port for android, what happened to it?

From what I remember there is an issue with keeping the serial up that is unresolved.

The edited post with the link might not show up on email.

Edit: :man_facepalming: I searched the forum, found the post, copied the link, but all I would have needed was to scroll up. Time for me to go to bed.

1 Like