Ground wire on motor cable?

So my motor cable that came with my metal maslow kit has a ground lug on one end only. All 3 cables are like this. I see nothing in the assembly instructions for Metal Maslow or the assembly instructions on the maslow site. I’m assuming this can be zipped tied back on itself and ignored?? Please don’t tell me to cut it because I have been there and done that on cars and it always comes back to bite me. LOL

1 Like

that is there to attach to your controller case shield. If you don’t have one, you can tie it to the other wires on the controller side and then back to earth ground or the center plug on your wall. I didn’t hook mine up and it works just fine. The other kit manufacturers don’t supply cables with that shield wire. I think the one wire it may prove useful on is the z axis especially if it is near the router power wire.

1 Like

I hooked my cable up with that wire at the motor instead of the controller end. It wouldn’t be a problem to flip flop them except I used a ton of zip ties to make everything tidy. That shouldn’t be a problem though as I have a steel frame so I can ground it to the frame and then ground the frame to the ground of the power input from the wall. Thanks

1 Like

it’s a grounding cable. Certain plastics and foams generate static electricity when cut and in theory grounding that end would help. I’ve never actually tested it. When I made the kits I tried to make them better than the original kits. the cost for a grounded cables was maybe 20 cents more so I did it. bought a bunch of smoke alarms that were $3 each and included them in kits before I ran out. Got hundreds of makita routers for 40% less than retail and put in kits. The power of bulk purchasing is what makes maslow kits attractive.

unfortunately 25% chinese tarriffs, and pandemic induced inflation have made it harder.

I like the idea of the grounded cable. I’m grounding them to my metal frame and then to the power input ground.

1 Like