Halftone Family Portrait

IMG_1680 IMG_1679 IMG_1678

I’ve been perfecting my halftone process. This is my latest project: A 70" X 30" halftone family portrait to hang in my living room.

13 Likes

Can you show more pictures on the process

I’m making a video on the whole thing. I’ll post the link here when it’s done. If that winds up taking too long (as video making is slow for me), then I’ll make a blog post with the highlights.

Oh, you can see some of it (non-technical mostly) on my insta @adam_the_hipnerd

3 Likes

Here’s part 1 of the project video: https://youtu.be/jaSW1ZnsjQk

2 Likes

Here’s part 2 of the project video: https://youtu.be/PfGVL_-ssbI

3 Likes

This is a really cool project. Do you have any instructions on how to do it?

Hi @Todderbod, welcome to the Maslow community!

Thank you for the compliment.

I don’t have step-by-step instructions. I’d be happy to answer any questions about the process, though.

How did you get the gcode? What program did you use/

I wrote a custom JavaScript program to take an image, and convert the pixels to g-code based on the geometry of the 90 degree v-bit I used. It’s not finished software by any means (no GUI, you have to edit variables, and even some of the code, by hand), but if you’re interested I’ll share the source code with you.

1 Like

That would be fantastic. I would love to try it thank you

Great project!

I just tried a project with white base and blue tape, but my tape is not nearly as wide as yours, did you find it online?

Did you have issues with tape tearing? I’m finding I have to to a lot of manual clean-up with an exacto knife.
Although, part of my problem is that I started with an upcut 1/8 bit that really tore up the tape. Where I use a v-bit the edge is pretty good. Live and learn…

1 Like

Thank you, @Andy_Fencer!

Here is a link to the tape I got on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DKXFAEE/ This stuff is the bomb. It says “21 Day Long Lasting Easy Clean Release”, and it performs as advertised.

1 Like

Hi @theHipNerd , I know this is an old post but I’m currently getting into CNC for exactly this image making an wondered if you’d be open to sharing the script you created. I’m currently creating dot based work manually using a dremel (see attached) and would like to move to a system where I could create g-code capable of handling different dot size/ using a 90 degree bit from an image - exactly as you have done.

Thanks for you time.

2 Likes

check this page out. may be of use to you haltone guys :wink:

1 Like

First of all, wow, you made that with a Dremel?!

Second of all, I will DM you the JavaScript.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up on this. Much appreciated

Hi, I got inspired, and have added some halftone functionality to KrabzCAM.
Hope anyone finds it useful.
4 minute demonstration here.

3 Likes

I checked out your program the other day. I’m looking forward to trying it out. Thanks for supporting us Maslowians.

So just for fun you made that? Pretty amazing! That plot at the end is really impressive. I have not really looked at krabzcam before this video.

I wanted to run my cam locally and not from the internet, but it appears this could be hosted locally and run in a browser. is that correct?

My estlcam user skills just leveled up, but perhaps this might be the gateway to enable use of my new diode laser burner. Is there a laser raster setting? I saw a laser path setting, which is likely a vector cut that I have used before. Does it post process for marlin and grbl? If so, I may need to start using it…

Have you done any 3d topo maps before with it? I’d really like to try that.

Thanks for sharing!!

Hi, yes you can host the application locally, just download the files or clone the repo.

I’m afraid laser raster operation is not supported.
(There is a partally hidden RASTER operation type, but this is just something I added for my own use a while back. It requires custom cnc firmware. I should probably hide it better :expressionless: )
But laser cutting/engraving based on vector is supported (with the FOLLOW_PATH_LASER operation type).

There is support for reliefs using grayscale hightmap images. Described in the user manual.

Good luck! :slight_smile: