Has anyone attempted a slatwall?

Just for the Holiday can we rename the Maslow to SPAM?

Thank you

1 Like

I second this motion

I do like the slot wall systems and Iā€™ve wondered how easily one could be made with Maslow. But I found an alternative that I really want to try, and it would be a LOT easier to cut than the T-slots. whatā€™s best, someone created all the files one would need, and made the project open source!

of course there are demo pieces to plug into the system:

2 Likes

I like this design, but in case all the spam hid it, a little higher we sugested a french cleat system, itā€™s a bit cheaper i would think

Iā€™ll admit the spam sort of lost me in the conversation. :smiley:

The French cleat system is really neat and could be effective. My only problem with it is that itā€™s not very CNC friendly. That is, unless you get a special bit it would be difficult to make with Maslow.
I wonder if there is a way to somehow modify the system so that it can be built with Maslow and be as effective.

the ā€˜special bitā€™ is a standard dovetail bit. Now, it is something that a lot of
CAM software is going to have trouble doing sanely, but software problems like
this are easy (if all else fails, you can manually generate the g-code)

Also if you look through the spam, we kinda went with ā€œuse the right tool for the jobā€, a cnc isnā€™t always the best tool. Wanna cut a board in 2; sure a cnc can do that, but a circular saw does it in 20 seconds.

If you have a circular saw around (either a tablesaw or a handheld one) the frech cleats are very easy to make.
If you just have your router, a small selection of router bits is a great addition for a router, take a dovetail bit, clamp a straight board to your workpiece, and just go through it i one go, very slowly.

Havig said all that, we just bought a new house, and there is a 40mĀ² greenhouse, with a permit, that will get knocked down to make my new workshop, and i think my walls will all have small rectangular equally spaced holes in them, i really like the look of your system. itā€™s just so neat and versitile.

2 Likes

well, thatā€™s a lot of cutting to do, and a lot of fiddling with the guide to
make all the cuts straight.

doing it on the maslow where all you do is load the sheet of plywood and hit go,
and can do other things while the maslow works (in the area just in case), the
maslow can do the job very well, and given the time needed to position the buide
board, itā€™s a toss up if the maslow is actually going to be any slower overall.

3 Likes

This conversation about slatwall and related topics reminds me of the Kerf Wall design I found and for which Iā€™ve thought about using Maslow.

Check it out here Kerf Wall.

They produce these kerf walls, and all the related shelves, cabinets, hangers, etc., on commercial CNCs.

Interesting to see how they design the various pieces with slots that are not hidden.

Also interesting to see how theyā€™ve made a business out of both standardized products as well as custom design and production work.

5 Likes