Maslow Home Maslow Community Garden

Hello from New Zealand

introduction

Hello from across the ditch. If you can get your hands on an Ozito router, they’re cheap and you can easily add the Z axis by tapping the depth gauge sleeve with (from memory) an M10 tap, cut the head off a 150-180mm bolt attach the motor. We’ve had our top men working on this solution for some time now.

Yes. We have Ozito here from the forward invasion force, aka Bunnings. I’d like to see an example of the modifications before I try them myself. The Bosch looks attractive as it is cheap, and the photos and description of the mods are clear so I can copy them.

Having said that, next time I’m in Bunnings I’ll have a good look at the Ozito offerings and see if the modifications are obvious. They are a bit cheaper than the Bosch.

Yes, Bunnings. You will learn to love it as your old local hardware store becomes a distant memory of times past. Resistance is futile.

Now, you can see the z-axis bolt (about 150mm) passing through the re-purposed and tapped (M10 from memory) depth gauge hole. Other mods:

• take the base plate off, use it as a template for the sled and discard
  • buy longer bolts to replace the base plate bolts so they’re long enough to pass through the sled. Unless you can find M4.5 bolts (what comes out), use M5s and tap the router holes out
  • remove the handles
  • remove the plunge springs (I didn’t try the set up with them in, so don’t know if this is needed)
  • you may need to put a sleeve around where the bolt is gripped by the shaft coupler

And I think that was about it. If the router isn’t on when you activate the z-axis, it will probably bind due to the asymmetrical force; the vibrations from the spinning router motor allow it to ‘wiggle’ up and down the plunge posts. At $79 AUD for the router, plus a few bucks for the bolts, it doesn’t come much cheaper. It also gives you and excuse to buy a tap and die set if you don’t have one. And guess who sells them…

Ok. Thanks. This is what we can get here in NZ:

It’s about 2/3rds the price of the Bosch, so less of a shame if it gets chopped up. I’ll have to get a good look at one in the store next time I am there. Hopefully they’ll have one out on display.

It’s hard to get an idea of scale, but it looks like the Ozito is a tall, narrow machine, which would be very suitable for the Maslow.

From the website:
Product Dimensions (mm)
W:195 H:350 L:130

It certainly looks less chunky than the Bosch, and I’m guessing the handles unscrew rather than having to be cut off.

It’s 850W. Is that sufficient?

The Ozito router is also discussed in another thread. First example:

Second example:

Yep, that’s it. Power seems fine and yes the handles just screw off

Any problems with runout (wobble of the output shaft)?

Not that I can tell, but this is my first CNC, so I’m just happy to be able to cut something out.

Ok. Great. This is a group build, so we’ll think about the Ozito and the Bosch. I can see pros and cons for both. It’s good to know the Ozito actually works. Thanks for the information.

Hi, I’m also in New Zealand. Based in Auckland, my kit has just arrived. Planning on using the Bosch POF 1200 AE router…

Hello sailor! :wink:

Our kit is in Customs. :frowning: I’m sure it will be on its way again soon. Today I took a look at the Ozito router in Bunnings. The attraction of it (apart from being slightly cheaper) is that the Z-axis modifications can be done on the outside. I’ve had a good look at it, and a good look at the ideas on this forum, but until the box arrives (which contains the Z-axis kit) it won’t be totally clear. Certainly the Bosch modifications are better documented here.

Have fun with yours.

Hi Ame,

Thanks for the welcome! Yes the Ozito is a possibility, however Ozito tools are low quality and I suspect there would be a bit of run out in the spindle assembly. It would be a very cheap way to get started and could always be replaced with a better quality unit once one was happy that the Maslow was able to give you what you need.

Our Maslow kit has arrived!

All the parts seem to be present. We’ve bought a Bosch POF 1200 AE router, I’ve printed the Z-axis adapter and bracket, and we have a leadscrew and nut.

Next, assemble the frame, hook everything up, then we’re done. :slight_smile:

Hey All,

I’ve just had my kit arrive too. I’m based in Auckland as well.

Still got to get a router. I’m leaning towards the bosch, but was wondering if anyone has looked at CNC spindles specially?

I didn’t bother getting a coupler when I ordered the kit as I wasn’t sure which router I was going to go for. Going to have to grab one before I do the conversion.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

I’m in Auckland as well. If you go for the Bosch POF 1200 AE router, I have a spare leadscrew, nut & coupling which I’d be willing to part with if you cover my costs. Still need to fabricate Z-axis adapter and bracket.

Hey @sailorxyz might be a plan, how much are you wanting for them?

$12.00 plus any postage should cover it.

Sounds good, I’ll flick you a PM shortly.

Happy birthday btw.

The Bosch is a good option, an other option is getting something like the following https://forums.maslowcnc.com/t/z-axis-upgrade-is-almost-ready-for-prime-time/ with a spindle :slight_smile: I still have to build mine just need to find the time :slight_smile: