Help! I’m tired of calibrating

Yesterday I finished putting everything together and tried to cut my final sled… It was about 10 minutes in when I got an error about the USB connection being lost…

I was able to restart it from the beginning and it got within a pass or 2 of completing the sled profile then it stopped and I had the same error as before… I gave up for the day, and I checked the forum. Today I used a shorter cable to the arduino and moved the router to a different plug. When I brought up ground control it gave me an error that the chain needed calibration… when I measured the chain I used the number from my previous calibration and it came up way short… I reloaded the firmware and started over. It calibrated as expected, but I used my measurements from yesterday for the 5 cuts. I tried to cut the sled again and center whole game out way wrong. It also cut the path to a hole instead of waiting to get there then drilling. It also tried to cut the main profile like the center hole… I thought it was because I was cutting on the left side of the board so I centered it on the board and got the exact same results…

I decided it was due to my temporary sled so I just cut out my first attempt with a jig saw. Then I calibrated again… this time I did the 5 cuts and the numbers were the same as yesterday except the top to #5, which was only off by 1/8 inch…

Loaded up my first project and when I started it it told me to calibrate…

I’m so frustrated at this point…

I’m sorry for the trouble!

You shouldn’t need to do the calibration ever again. If you get that message or if the USB comes unplugged you just need to click Actions -> Set Chain Lengths Automatic

I am going to remove the word “calibrate” from that popup right now, I see how confusing it is

Edit: I’ve updated the wording of that popup in pr #421 so hopefully someone in the future will be spared the misleading popup

2 Likes

Ok… I clicked “Actions -> Set Chain Lengths Automatic“ and had to go through reloading the chains again…

Which is still a pain, but it is currently cutting… Is there a way to prevent it loosing chain length?

2 Likes

You shouldn’t ever loose the chain length. I am not sure why that happened.

Has anyone else experience this?

If it happens again, and especially if you find a way to make it happen repeatedly ( for example “it happens every time I click these three buttons in order”) let me know and I will fix it

1 Like

If you loose power, you can loose the chain length, so it’s only ‘you should
never loose the chain length’ if nothing else goes wrong.

1 Like

Ok… I’ve been cutting using a short USB with no issues. Today I decided to use the long USB that came with the unit. About 3/4 of the way through it gave me the original error about losing communication… when I tried to switch cables and finish it wouldn’t return to center and now I’m having to reset the chain lengths again… That USB cable has been destroyed…

2 Likes