High Vibration PCB Mounted Power Connector

Does anyone have a favorite PCB mounted power connector that can handle vibrations?

I’m using the standard barrel connector now, but it’s not great when there is a lot of vibration so I’d like to find something that clicks into place a little better.

Anyone got a recommendation?

there is a green snap in connecter I see used on a lot of things (3d printers
and bldc drivers)

images in this link (for some reason it’s showing in spanish for me, but you can
see the connectors)

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832713588086.html

David Lang

1 Like

There are versions that have addition securing methods, such as screws, clips etc that help ensure they cannot come loose.

1 Like

I prefer the XT60 connectors used in LIPO RC flight. they are

You didn’t specify surface mount, so these are through-hole board mounted, but they hold tight and will take all the current we will ever use on a maslow.

It is very common for power distribution boards on quad copters to be a series of giant solder pads that you solder these pigtails on:

an option. maybe not exactly what you were hoping for, but I use them on my 3d printer for the 24 volt connections.

2 Likes

I agree with Orob, Bar - I think XT60 connectors are worth your consideration

1 Like

That’s a great recommendation. I hadn’t come across those. Thanks!

I’m looking for the right angle version, and this looks just about right:

Do they have any sort of locking mechanism to stay in, or are they just a very firm press fit? If it’s just a press fit you haven’t had any trouble with them coming lose?

I believe that there is a little bit of a latch there (tab on the inside of one
connector that sits in an indentation on the other half)

David Lang

1 Like

it is a tight friction fit. I’ve seen quads do cartwheels and the battery breaks its mount off the quad, but the wires stay attached.

1 Like

Great suggestion everyone:

I haven’t tested it yet, but it seems great.

4 Likes

@bar , how in the heck do you source components and get things built so fast?

3 Likes

I’m a big fan of the EasyEDA and JLCPCB combination. You can order boards right from within the EDA tool and as long as the parts are in stock they can make boards in about a week :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Im going to have to switch to EasyEDA. Eagle is such a cumbersome product.

1 Like

Once Autodesk bought it it kind of went downhill I think. Or at least my computer at the time stopped meeting the minimum specs required to run it so I stopped using it.

2 Likes

“What happened to you Autodesk, you used to be king. Now you are just another subject.”

When they started bundling it in Fusion I knew things weren’t going to get any better.

1 Like

Autodesk has a long history of killing products, including competitors (like Generic CAD) that they bought shortly beforehand

1 Like

+1 for EasyEDA and JLC. Or whatever EDA app you like really, just make sure to populate your BOM using part numbers from jlcpcb.com/parts so you can use the SMT service (extra tip - try to use parts that can go through the ‘economical’ SMT process rather than ‘standard’ process).

I live on the literal arse end of the world and they sent me built boards that arrived here 9 days after clicking buy! This was a month ago and that was using the cheapest/slowest freight option (USD$8). The whole order was USD$20 for 5 boards. They were small boards, but I mean cummon, it’s just madness. So I lap it up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

good tip with the BOM and using JLC part numbers. Im slowly transitioning to SMT and I cant stomach the idea of hand building SMT boards.

1 Like