Holey Webcontrol Testing

I don’t know can you accidentally resize the work surface? Look at the sled in relation to the black knothole. Compare that to the red crosshair. I assumed the gray quartered rectangle represented the entire 4X8 work surface. Moving from top-left to bottom-right on the display only moves the actual sled about 6 inches. Am I misunderstanding the purpose of the gray rectangle?

Hahaha! It was moving in mm but displaying and tracking in inches. Tapping the inch/mm button several times fixed it. I know it can desync but I’ve only used one browser since launching the current test build.

Try the new version. It might work better. I eliminated the move after accepting calibration values. It was putting the system in metric mode and might not have been autoupdating the GUI.

I need to get a few things out of the way. Are we ready to start the process over to test inline the fixes that were made?

I think so… pull new docker, upgrade firmware, do the calibration (enter measurements only… no need to cut) see if it works… then calibrate again and let us know the results. No rush.

And since you are playing with it, try out the “Download Diagnostics File” and “Clear Log Files” from the Actions menu and let me know if you run into problems. The diagnostic file is a zip file of webcontrol.json, alog.txt, and log.txt. Clear log files, obviously, clears the two log files :slight_smile:

I’m in for a crazy week at work. I hopefully will have time to play some more either Tuesday or Wednesday evening. We’ll need two or three other testers to shake it down once you and I are done with this stage.

Definitely more the merrier. But on the good side of things, unlike with ground control, you aren’t forced to use holey calibration. You can still use the stock calibration and firmware and switch to holey calibration only if you want to use it. I’ve made some improvements in this version of webcontrol that would make sense to push out to everyone (improved gcode editor, custom gcode sender, diagnostics files download, clear logs, and now an improvement in processing units that I think would have eliminated the crazy thing you saw after running holey calibration).

Thanks for your help with testing this. I’m very interested in seeing if you realize improvement in accuracy. Holey calibration is really a combination of two things, one is the calibration optimization using measurement to a bunch holes (vs. measurements of a couple of cuts) and the other is the kinematics formula changes.

You have the choice in Joshua’s fork. You are not forced to use holey.

Well, my wording wasn’t so well. What I’m trying to say is that you don’t have to have multiple copies of ground control (one with holey and one without) and multiple firmwares (one with holy and one without). I didn’t mean to suggest that you had no choice but to use holey.

do you have the ability to download and restore the config? That would be a big
aid to experimentation (the ability to tinker and know you can go back to the
prior state)

David Lang

download is done. restoring (outside of manually replacing the file) is a bit more tricky, but would be worthwhile to be able to do.

You can restore a webcontrol.json file now. Actions->Import webcontrol.json.

… only in the holeywebcontrol branch at the moment.

1 Like

I added a few more features only present in holey webcontrol… I just pushed the new version.

1. CPU usage and activity indicator now appears between the two connection alert buttons. CPU usage is that of the particular core with the highest usage. It is normally green but will flash yellow when the browser client receives a message from webcontrol. This will eventually be a setting, but I needed it for testing (trying to minimize the amount of network traffic)

2. There is now a “computed” sled position crosshair. This is equivalent to the error crosshair on groundcontrol, but this icon uses forward kinematics to compute the sled location from chain lengths. I’m surprised it doesn’t use much CPU. The computation is done in webcontrol, not the firmware. This crosshair only works with holey firmware because I modified it to report the two chain lengths when it reports error. You can enable/disable it in the WebControl Settings.

3. Updated the layout of some of the mobile screens, like ZAxis.

4. Updated the holey firmware to match the latest master… includes the kinematics.init calls and @blurfl’s B99 for entering FAKE_SERVO mode. Thanks a ton for that… it’s so nice to be able to do that.

This version of firmware might not work with the holey calibration groundcontrol, but I tried to avoid that from happening and I can’t think of any reason it wouldn’t work, but you never know. If you use it with groundcontrol, note that I added 50 to the version number (v51.27) so you will get a notification about groundcontrol and firmware being out of sync.

2 Likes

There might be a bug that breaks access to the Actions menu. So hold off updating it until I push a new version tonight.

1 Like

It’s safe to go back in the water. Just pushed updated build.

1 Like

Hey guys, I’m going to have to back off of the testing for about a month or so. I’m involved in a data migration at work that is taking all of my time there and most of my time at home. Sorry, I’ll get back into it as soon as I can.
-John

1 Like

No problem. I think I’m going to merge the update into the main branch anyway since you can still use the old firmware/calibration.

2 Likes

I actually rebuilt my Maslow this weekend and ran through holey calibration. It got me really close vertically at the middle, but a bit off on the left side (didn’t test the right side). I’ll run it a second time soon, but everything but the stop button seemed to function as expected. I have a typo on the stop button on the calibration screen so it didn’t work when my z-axis arm popped out of the router body notch. I’ll be pushing an update, hopefully tonight, to correct this.

2 Likes

One more addition to holey webcontrol that you will see… hopefully tonight…

When you move the cursor over the board, it will switch to a blue recticle (i.e., crosshair). It is a 3D element that gets updated when the cursor moves, and will rotate along with the 3D view… It’s z value is always 0 (top of your workpiece). In the top left, there’s a cursor position display that will tell you where on the board the cursor is located in x,y coordinates with units that match whatever you have it set for.

2 Likes