I redid my system

seems lots to unpack here…

Webcontrol doesn’t use .ini files. The config is stored in webcontrol.json so if the .ini file got overwritten, I think it must have been done by ground control somehow. However, chain lengths aren’t stored in an .ini file. Did you get a message about invalid chain lengths right after performing the update? If so, that’s an issue inside the controller (no .ini files involved with that). Upgrading firmware doesn’t normally cause you to lose chain lengths though, so that’s odd.

Does webcontrol report being connected to the controller (the very top right ‘alert’ will be green with the port name… /dev/ttyACM0 in my case)

I don’t have a controller connected to a linux box so I can’t say. I build the linux file using ubuntu 16.04 virtual machine. I don’t know if it matters that I use ubuntu or not (for compatibility with other distros).

So you got a message about invalid chain lengths after doing the firmware update? You can reset the chain lengths by using the Actions->Set Sprockets Vertical page. Did you mark the chain link that was on the top tooth after doing your first chain extends?