Idea for a Geodesic Sphere

I see no reason why it wouldn’t if you make the material strong enough, and divide the loads evenly

Would it be hard to curve poly-carbonate or acrylic for the roof? We could make them flat like every other dome, but i agree with @bar that a sphere would looks a lot nicer. Maybe we could make the mold on the maslow, and heat it in a modified kitchen stove and reverse an air compressor as a vacuum pump. I tried something similar to bend plywood to make my meeple-shaped board game cabinet. (don’t have pictures of it in production)

When my maslow arrives, i will definitely try making a model of this, you got me excited too :slight_smile:

Great, a cnc machine, a boat, an arcade cabinet, spherical winter garden, animal chairs, … I can start these after i get done renovating the house that we’ll be moving into next week, which will probably be the day the customs release my maslow :frowning: Would everyone mind stopping with putting these ideas in my head that i won’t ever have the time for.

I need a signature to state that i literally always assume everything is easy or at least doable. That’s one of the reasons i got here in the first place, “make my own cnc with zero experience, sure why not?” Maybe it’s because a lot of the time things are as easy as they sound, they just time more time then i assumed.

That said, literally everything is easier said then done, except for speaking, that’s about the same :smiley:

5 Likes

A cool DaVinci bridge would support two hammocks.

9 Likes

If you are going to be using this as some sort of greenhouse structure, would you have to use marine grade plywood?

If you are planning on hanging things, I would offset the notch in the arced members to give more strength on the outside since that is where more force would be applied (i think…)

Now, just integrate a door and i’ll have a spot to put my biogas…

1 Like

The theory behind geodesic domes is that the struts are only under tension or compression. (Typically the latter.) Giving them a rounded shape makes it much weaker, unless you were to make “D” shapes, perhaps.

3 Likes

I don’t quite buy that the struts near the top are really only under tension/compression, particularly with a snow load. Still your point is valid. Curved struts, especially near the bottom are much more subject to buckling than straight ones. At very least they should be made thicker in the curved direction, if not fully D-shaped. It also depends on your application. A small greenhouse dome, using plastic sheeting as the cover material, probably won’t be any problem. A large dome with heavier covering and snow loading will be an issue.

Hello how are you? I share these geodesic domes cut in cnc

link to OCTADOME de Tomoki Hiramoto

OCTADOME

16 Likes

you also have to think about a door, for putting it together what about a bandit system.

1 Like

I am wondering what it would take to make this serve as a jungle gym for kids. I would like to make it into a jungle gym some day.

2 Likes

Yes yes yes on so many levels! Awesome. Can’t read the thread I’m so excited!
I build geodesics in the UK and have had something like this very high on my Maslow project list. I started with a large geo tent several years ago, and it’s only the last year that I’ve found a house with a garage, to make the Maslow and get things going all geodesic again. @Bar the hub you have is similar to some of my sketch book doodles. I’ll get sharing once scanned/photo’d.
This is my new go to thread, super thrilled.
Yay!
Miles
;¬)

3 Likes

Yeah, just bought two packs today, one white, one black. The black is designed for indoor/outdoor and boasts UV resistance, the white is solely for indoor use.
I imagine if the hole was machined as a short slot the ties could be made to lie flat against the component.
Miles

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing, those are excellent.
Miles

That is so cool, I came across the patent for those hubs while researching a couple of years back. Didn’t delve deep enough to find that someone had made Strombergs chicken houses with them. I have a few icosahedral designs in my sketch book, but hadn’t imagined a chicken house quite so regal!
My first geodesic was hacked together from a length of mains water supply pipe, drilled for the hubs and 60 lengths of hazel, coppiced from the surrounding area. I put it together in a couple of evenings and didn’t have time to find anything other than a massive tarp for it before the camping trip that weekend!
Despite it’s flimsy appearance I could hang my resonable bulk (85kg back then) from the crown. That was in Wales. It was a glorious morning as we were packing down, following a dawn mountain climb. The night before was a different story, we arrived just as it was getting dark in a windy valley, and I humbly asked for help putting up my tent, hee heh ;¬) Surprisingly, it only took about an hour to put it up, it worked first time, and my wife is still with me all these years later!

5 Likes

Good on you Man! Well played.

Thank you

This CNC thing opens up universes! How am I ever going to find the time to sleep again?

4 Likes

http://www.domerama.com/dome-basics/geodesic-dome-hub-connectors/

:smiley:

1 Like

Hahaha, welcome new maslovian. Nice to see posts like this every once in a while, i think we all have some project where we suddenly saw all the possibilities of a cheap, full sheet cnc machine at home, good feeling isn’t it :wink:

3 Likes

Just glad I had children before I discovered Maslow, otherwise I’d have been a mancave hermit. Plus, they have the potential to generate so many Maslow projects!

3 Likes

Check out Paul Robinson on youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/pauly1060/
He’s been making domes for people for sometime now, has designs available, and lots of very useful videos on sketch up and dome building.
His website: http://geo-dome.co.uk/
I’ve been trying to come up with a super-low cost, ultra lightweight, easy to construct abode/emergency shelter. There are so many amazing projects of this type being devised in the World, but very few address all the issues of cheap, quick, easy, and practical. I think the Maslow enables this kind of thing, in a dome like shape. The shrink wrap idea is primo, and again fits all the criteria for immediate shelter, might not be the most eco material, but completely recycleable ;¬) To be able to build a maslow on site in a crisis hit area, from a small box of bits, and only the need of a small generator to power it all, I think offers up potential for rebuild operations, etc.
And for more permanent and sustainable builds this is one of my favourites to date: https://youtu.be/llsQL2bPWqY
The ability to machine 8x4 would enable mould making for this kind of abode.
I’m in the UK, the govt/bank has made housing unaffordable for nearly everyone and we have draconian planning laws. Something’s got to give soon, and when it does, I’d like to build some noble structures.
Cheers,
Miles

3 Likes

Let some silkapillars do the cover :laughing:
https://www.behance.net/gallery/65096955/Silk-Pavilion

3 Likes

Great word, @Gero! ‘Silk catapillars’ given the German word-combining treatment.

2 Likes