Idea for a Geodesic Sphere

Have a look at this project, http://hexayurt.com/

And there’s some other version here, http://dylantoymaker.net/toybox/hexayurt/ :smiley:

I’m based in the UK as well.

2 Likes

Thank you for the links. I missed the ‘Disaster relief plywood hexayurt proposal’ and highly appreciate the find. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Catch the reference to safe hex?

2 Likes

This one came by on pintrest

2 Likes

Sorry for this off-topic one. I could not help it :see_no_evil:.
The reason why all my image searches end with -pinterest is that I don’t like to need an account just to look at a picture on the internet.
@Dag83, I hope I know that you will forgive me for a single person view.

you’re right, i’ll try like this, on pintrest it doesn’t link to a site, it’s just linked from a google image search :s

3 Likes

Thank you my Friend! That is something to work with, Wow. Simple and genius.

1 Like

i like that you don’t have to change the shape on the bottom ones, so that it sits flush with the ground. Also, because this is 3/4 of a sphere, instead of hald a shpere, you get mote standing up room.

3 Likes

3 three unique parts is the key that hopefully ended a long search (decade)
Actuality more as the middle part are different length.
I love it!

1 Like

Which part is a different length? every node connects a pentagon, 2 squares and a triangle so they are all identical. And all the ribs are equal length or it wouldn’t work out…
If you find a way to make the ribs 1 piece it’s even only 2 unique parts.

1 Like

i was counting the 5 corner one and now, it looks like all connections same length. Next step for me is to model this in blender.

This one has a door

2 Likes

Anyone inspired by these DONGs?

1 Like

only trouble I see is water getting in…

The convenient fact is that the curved shape only weakens the member along the radii, the very dimension we have the ability to thicken.

1 Like

all very cool, but wood structures out side tend to rot and warp after 6 to 12 months. Most playground equipment is either HDPE plastic or metal for those reasons. I have seen composite wood used, but IMHO, that stuff is weak and very expensive

1 Like

This is the genius we know you to be. What about different sized structures using the same hubs? Are they “flexible” for that possibility?

Plus the advantage to the curves is still limited to the specific radius. No doubt it would add a softness to the look but glazing seems higher on the list of priorities.