Ideal router rpm

So long as you can find a router that doesn’t derate its power at those speeds, that would be a good idea for the Maslow. We’re limited to a max feedrate of about 1000mm/min, which is slower than commercially available machines.

Going to 5,000 rpm would allow you to use 2 flute bits on your machine without excessively dulling them. Based on a chipload of 0.006 for a 1/4" upshear bit, you would need to move at 1500mm/min with your spindle at 5,000 rpm. This is still above the Maslow’s maximum feed, but it’s much closer than the 3000mm/min that you would need at the Rigid’s lowest speed of 10,000 rpm. So it will still prematurely dull your bits, but not as fast as it would at the higher rpm. Also, you could experiment with increasing your depth of cut to get the chipload closer to where it needs to be.

The issue is that you’re going to dull your bits if you go too slow with either RPM or feedrate. I personally have found that a 1/4" single-flute bit works very well for my machine. I run it 500mm/min @ 12,000 rpm with about 6-7 mm depth of cut (~1/4"). I could probably increase my RPM and get it closer to 600 or 700 mm/min, but I haven’t experimented with it too much.

Some light reading about machine feedrates (and what I’d like to try to increase those speeds)

This is the wiki page on tested materials. Feel free to add to it as you make your own discoveries!

And the router bits that we have tested so far. Again, feel free to add to this.

5 Likes