Indi the Dingo Bitch Circumnavigates the Globe

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://maslowcommunitygarden.org/Indi-the-Dingo-Bitch-Circumnavigates-the-Globe.html

Indi, the Friendly Dingo Bitch, Circumnavigates the Globe

Hi Guys,

I am Indi, the Dingo bitch from Australia. My pet human is a New Zealander (We try not to talk about that), but every family has a skeleton in the closet. I’ve been caring for him for a couple of years now and I know he’d give the fur of his head to help a bitch out. I would like to make myself and my Human, he’s called Rosco, available to spend a year in building a Rutan Long Ez Plane and to fly it 40000 kilometres, around the world, on a friendly flight, to jump on lots of people, lick them all, and to raise awareness and funds for the bomb affected people of this world. Perhaps you have a more appropriate idea for a charitable venture.

I am currently sourcing a sponsor to supply the engine and to cover the costs. Even if that doesn’t work out, I’ll pay for the materials myself. Of course, donations will be accepted by myself from Maslowcnc if they wish to provide the hardware and software because they believe that they would like to be a part of this project. A lot of the CAD files have been made but need adjusting to a format where the files can be cut by a 3 axis Maslow. Ideas for setting up the Maslow for best accuracy would be very helpful. Design ideas for making a great wrap like how to make a canard plane look like an Indian scout or chief motorcycle in order to call it an Indian Bitch, would be welcome. Printed vinyl wrap might be a good idea. My name is short for India and I’m a Dingo bitch from Australia.

I am easy about any itinerary suggestions, like the dates and locations, but It seems right that the Japanese bombings should be used for the dates and/or the locations.

Cheers Mates,

Indi, the Dingo Bitch

PS If you are interested in this project, please let me know. If my human doesn’t pass on the message, I’ll bite him.

As you can see from the Pic, I let my human take me for rides on the motorbike and I love it.

Sponsorship will speed up the process and a charitable venture would be much more satisfying than a joy ride and perhaps you would like to be part of or even manage the project for me.

Please feel free to ask questions. My first question is what is the cheapest way for a Dingo bitch to get a pilots licence for her pet human? Safety is not important he’s from New Zealand. If he needs to be in another country to do flight training i’ll pack him into a shipping crate. I think he need to be stored on his head cause he looks better when i’m lying down on my back.

You might not want to post your email on the forums. These forums are publicly available, so it’s likely that spambots are cruising them to harvest email addresses. There is a private messaging feature on the forums. For example, if I wanted to message you, I would just click on the “Indi” at the top of your post and then select the “Message” option on the dialog that pops up. I am assuming, of course, that dogs don’t like email spam any more than humans do. :grin:

1 Like

2 Likes

Ok mate

I’ll try to find an edit feature and i’ll bite my human until he fixes it for me,

woof

Indi

So step one is probably removing the offending email address. I’m so offended grrrrr.
It’s gone. Where’s the ball?
Next step should always be to bite a New Zealander.

So which plane do we want to build? How do we start this conversational link or thread?

Reasons for picking a plane should be but not necessarily in this order.

1 It should look cool like me.

2 It should be economical and not because we can’t start it.

1. It should have a long range.

2. Safety features for dogs, humans don’t need to breath at high altitude but I do.

3. Parts to build with Massies CNC router out of woof or foam.

Here’s a couple of benchmarks for specs and we may end up with this. Rutan Long-Ez, range speed, economy safety, if staying with original design features.

Osprey has some excellent features like being able to chase balls in lakes and reasonable range, plus ease of build. The designer is George Pereira and he Is 95 years old. He’d be 665 in dog years.

Here’s one that NASA liked at one stage. The Dyke Delta or JD-2

1 Like

I am not a pilot, but I have picked up a thing or two about airplanes over the years. Without knowing a lot about the planes you have listed, here are my thoughts.

The Long EZ is a nice, clean design, very efficient I believe. There are a lot of them out there, so you would have people to talk to if you have questions.

The Osprey has a small cabin, so you better like your human. Being a seaplane means you have more options if you experience difficulties out over an ocean. That said, I still wouldn’t like to be out on the open ocean in a broken airplane, but it beats being at the bottom of the ocean in a broken airplane.

The Dyke Delta is a much older design and there are less than a dozen flying today. That raises a red flag to me. Is there something wrong with the design? Are the planes hard to maintain? Or was it just too far ahead of its time and few pilots wanted to try such a radical design? I don’t know, but some dog needs to do his homework on this one.

If you ever want to buy an ocean-going sailboat, I have heard the best place to go is the east end of the Panama canal. Many folks on the U.S. west coast get the idea that they want to sail around the world. They buy a boat and all the gear and set off to Panama. Sailing around the world isn’t all romance, though. A lot of it is monotonous work, with your hand on the wheel and endless miles of ocean in every direction. Then there are the storms. So many sailors get through the Panama canal and are facing the crossing of the Atlantic ocean when they realize they don’t want to sail around the world any more. They pack up their belongings, tie the boat up at a dock and strike a deal with the marina owner to sell their boat for them at a cut rate.

My point is, good on you for wanting to go on an adventure, I hope you do it but remember that the road is long, building your plane and then flying it. Talk to some dogs and their people who have done it to make sure it’s for you.

2 Likes

Very Insightful remarks and greatly appreciated. The road is long. With many a winding turn.
Which leads me back to the Osprey.

It’s the quickest and cheapest build to get of the ground plus in an emergency situation, where I need to dump a Kiwi (Kiwi is a common abbreviation for a New Zealander in this part of the world, not an innuendo, although it would work perfectly well as one) or anything else, It’s easier to land.

We can also get the Kiwi a flying licence quicker in the Osprey II. He’s getting sick of flying without one :slight_smile:

A funny wee thought, the Kiwi is a flightless bird and here we are, trying to teach one to fly.

Sir Francis was 65 years old when he became the first person to circumnavigate the globe as a solo sailor. He couldn’t find a Dingo Bitch to go with him. He stopped half way around the world, in Sydney Australia to find one too.

I stole the title of this project from his book on Gypsy Moths, I think he was also an entomologist.

So the big question we need to ask ourselves is, Can the Kiwi endure and roll with the blows that time and bites will definitely throw at him. We’ll just have to see and it’s not really my problem I just need to eat and sleep.

Here’s a more relevant question to save about 2000.00 usd and to get a flightless bird flying, Can a maslow cnc make a universal reduction drive gearbox that has a ratio of about 2.5 to 1 and can handle the stresses that a 100 to 200HP engine will place upon it?

Even if you can’t teach a Kiwi to fly, you’ll be able to tell the grandchildren the story of the dingo bitch that tried.

The Panama analogy raises another very good point. I may be able to pick up a cheap abandoned project and give it a home.

The story could end up being, Indi the dingo bitch that shot for the stars and hit the east end of Panama’s canal.

Does Santa provide ways for wills or are wills and ways destined to be old fairy tales told to the general masses to give them false hope?

Hi Indy and your human pet!

I’m a US licensed Pilot, and i have a few pointers for your pet :slight_smile:

A pilot school here in South Florida will charge a human around $110 (wet) for a C172 plus $60 for the CFI hourly for a private pilots license.

Your pet will need a minimum of 40 hours flight training, some of those will be flying solo, you won’t be charged CFI for those, also you need ground school too (you can do ground on your own and save money, just pay for the tests). Your human will also need to be instrument certified to be able to fly international, the requirements for this may vary depending on your flying hours as a private, usually around 30 more hours.

In big airports under or in the vicinity of controlled airspace, your human will learn much faster the skills needed to fly in and out B, C, and D airspace, flight following, filing and activating flight plans, navigation, instruments…but at a price. Your pet will need ground clearance, taxi ways are longer, other airplanes taxing, tower clearance, once in the air he will need to navigate to a designated flight training area usually 15 to 20 minutes away, to then start practicing required maneuvers. This added flying time will easily double the cost of your PP license. Look for an school that’s located in a small uncontrolled/towered countryside airport, under G airspace.

If your human pet is a us citizen or nationalized one, the cheapest way is to buy the airplane first, then seek a CFI to train you for $25 per hour. This way you won’t spend any money in renting an airplane, which is the biggest expense here. Unfortunately if your mate is not a citizen he can’t be trained by a single CFI and need to go to a registered school to comply with TSA.

It’s going to be VERY risky to do, just from the top of my head, I don’t believe any one of your chosen airplanes has the endurance, power, or structural strength to make it across the North Atlantic (canada - greenland - iceland - UK) and battle the EXTREME low altitude weather, no to mention the regulations, also the mandatory extra gear to fly over the sea that probably won’t even fit in your airplane.
A good choice would be shipping your tiny airplane across the Atlantic, or save a little more money and buy something like a GLASAIR SH2 RG with 180HP, I believe someone flew a KR2 across the North Atlantic too.
Check out this site http://www.earthrounders.com/ for tips and tech support.

Good luck in your adventure, and sorry if i sound a little bit discouraging, nothing is impossible! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a mostly completed Osprey 2. I would not recommend it for anything global. You just dont have enough room and it sits very low in the water. If you really want a wood/foam/fiberglass seaplane, maybe look at the Spencer Aircar. It’s a kit version of the Republic Seabee. It also sits a lot higher in the water and has the room you will need for a big trip. It’s a bit slow, but it can also be fitted with a commonly available, reliable and proven LS series V8.

1 Like

Hi Ascinder, I couldn’t agree more, that’s why I’ve modified the flight plan from having just one life jacket because the human pet doesn’t need one to building the Osprey first for getting all the licences in and then upgrading to the EZ or a variant of and then the Longez for the trip. I’ve also got the Longez upgrade to the steam Flight simulator. I’m looking at 200 - 300 hp 4 cylinder boxer engines with low hours and only 6 months to 1 year old. I’ve been talking to both the Georges of the Osprey camp a lot lately and the next step is to get the Maslowcnc kit after the triumph america has been sold. Did you consider the extended fuselage for comfort in your build? I Love the Air car. Do you know where to get the plans?

Hi Guys, I’m almost at the point of purchasing and setting up my maslowcnc and I’m thinking rather than reinventing the wheel I’ll just Tap into wealth of experience and knowledge by running my needs and requirements by you in the hope that I can get what I need in as close to one order as posable.

My system needs to be able to cut woof and foam accurately.

The ability to upgrade to cut parts 10’ long would help to reduce scarf joins.

3 axis best accuracy upgrades for precision aircraft parts. 1/64 accuracy throughout preferred.

I’ve only used SketchUp make and I’m very good at 3D rendering with it but what software should I be using.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Also it looks like the first and practice international flight will be to visit AME in New Zealand.

Hi Indi, I had a friend planning on putting a 6 cylinder turbocharged subaru engine in a Berkut build he was doing. He was planning on being able to fly from the states to Hawaii with it. My Osprey was somewhat built when my dad and I purchased it quite a few years ago. We drifted to other things over time and it has been sitting and rather neglected over the years. My dad always liked the Spencer, but I was never a huge fan just because I couldn’t wrap my head around the slow speed. My dad has since passed and the plans he bought are just sitting there. As far as I know they are pretty tough to find and I don’t think they are in production anymore. If you are really interested in them, I would let them go for whatever the prevailing rate is. I am currently working on two twin Navions right now.

1 Like

Hi Ascinder, It’s a cracker of a plane but in this part of the world gas prices are crazy and they seem to chew through the juice. What is the standard asking price for those plans?

As if facing the bigotry of being a Dingo getting a pilot’s licence for a flightless bird wasn’t enough. There are zero flight instructors qualified to teach my human pet how to fly a GP-3 Osprey II aircraft and probably not a Spencer Aircar either, here in Australia. That means that the first build is now back on the burner so to speak and the new parameters are, what experimental planes can be built and trained to fly in, in Australia or maybe New Zealand. The quickest build and most common planes flying will be the main draw cards that I can see at this stage. If it turns out that flight instructors for the Aircar are a dime a dozen I may revisit that one. Are they the S-12-D plans? I’ve seen the six cylinder subaru engine for sale here. That’s a lot of aircraft engine for it’s size, especially if its injected and turbo charged. Hey Mate ask your friend with the Berkut about reduction gear ratios for me will you. Cheers.

I just looked up the Twin Navions. It’s a very nice looking plane. Did you consider flat six Subaru engines for the Navions. They are very thirsty planes.

I just found a high performance plane that will do 60.5 miles to the US gallon. With 19 US gallons and doing 180 MPH it will travel 1151 miles with a human pet and lots of tennis balls to chase, as well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvarez_Polliwagen#Specifications_(Polliwagen)

The majority of comments about the Polli is that it had over exaggerated performance specs and was dangerous. The positive comments seem unsubstantiated.

Unfortunately, since the Twins are certificated aircraft, you can’t just throw any engine on them. A regular Navion has a fair amount of engine and prop options, but because there were so few twins produced, they have pretty much no engine or prop options. They did however design/match the engines they do have very well. They are 4 cylinders instead of the conventional six, but use the same fuel as the six’s do. So they are optimized for efficiency, but have more power overall. They are just idealized for their powerband, where the six would have to work(and consume more fuel) for the same results.

1 Like

Thanks for the info Ascinder. I find our conversations very informative. You must toss me some info about ideal power bands and idealizing power bands. I’ll really be able to baffle the other Dingos with science then. That’s not hard though because all I need to do to make them think i’m magical is slip the ball out of sight under a blanket, but seriously I do need to tell my pet human about power bands because without our help i’m fairly sure he’ll get it wrong. From what I gather you are trying to keep the propeller at it’s peak rpm for it’s given task which is somewhere between Mach 0.8 to 0.9 depending on propeller size and type. Is that what you are referring to?
Also the update for the first plane to build will probably be the VP-2 or Volksplane II which being mainly made of wood woof be a perfect project for a Maslowcnc. The free download of the plans for this plane seem fairly good until the bolts list which is barely readable. If any one should come across the page which is page 69 of these plans, VP-2 Plans ,
please grab me a good copy. I have started the process of 3d rendering on sketchup free. It’s a little different and it’s been a while since I’ve used it so if there are any experts regarding hot keys to save time i’d appreciate a refresher. I found my claws work very well with the hot keys.
By the way Ascinder. I think twins are for wimps. I was one of eleven pups in my litter. :slight_smile:

I just noticed the earth rounders link. Great site.

Here’s the latest update.

I have plans for the Maupin Windrose powered glider, the 1933 biplane glider developed from the heath parasol and I’m looking at getting the dxf files for the whisper motorglider, The Tri-q200, and I’m considering plans for solitaire powered glider. The Australian Glider association is checking to see if the tri-q200 will meet the glider registration requirements as a powered glider.