KrabzCAM, generate g-code from svg

Hi, I just wanna share this link
https://mkrabset.github.io/pages/krabzcam/index.html

It’s a free web-application I’ve been working on for a while for generating g-code from SVG paths,
similar to MakerCAM/PartKAM but written in javascript.

It currently supports pockets, profiles(inside/outside with tabs), engraving (both z-depth and laser m3/m5) and drilling.

SVGs need to be converted to paths (easily done with inkscape).

User settings (operation parameters and preferred unit) can be exported/imported from file.

Click ‘HELP’ for instructions.

Quick tips:
Press ‘b’ to box-select,
Press ‘a’ to select/unselect all
Press ‘g’ to grab (move objects around)
Press ‘s’ to scale
Press ‘r’ to rotate
Press ‘t’ to add tab (on active profile opereration)

(I’m also working on heightmap 3d carving support from greyscale images, but this for the future.)

A few short demo vids here:
Imgur
Imgur

Just keep in mind, this is new untested software, so use with care!

Best regards
Marius

6 Likes

This is awesome, nice work. I’ve been trying the other gcode export options in Inkscape and they’ve seemed so cumbersome. Thanks.

This is amazing, cancelling my Easel subscription right now.

2 Likes

Has anyone run into any issues with KrabzCAM gcode generation? See the attached SVG that I I loaded then generated a profile for. I put the gcode into a simulator and the output is the blue outline. There are a few anomalies in the pathing where right angle sides are pathed as slanted sides (tabs on the right side, slot at the bottom) a weird step out in the upward slot on the left side. And the biggest surprise were the big circles on the right side which are not part of the original design (looking at the gcode, I’m wondering if those are G02 when they’re supposed to be G03?).

Curious if anyone else has run into anything similar or if I’m doing something wrong.

I haven’t run into this issue with KrabzCAM specifically, but I have run into this issue before.

It’s usually caused by the G02 or G03 command which program an arc. If the arc is VERY VERY short it can become so short that the end point ends up being before the start point and you get a circle instead of a tiny segment.

Some CAM programs will let you turn off G02 and G03 completely and just use a lot of short straight lines (G01) instead which might fix the issue.

Hi,
I’ve added a checkbox in KrabzCAM to disable biarc-interpolation on the loaded input.
When this is checked, the svg-paths will be interpolated as line-segments only.
The produced gcode output may still contain G2/G3 commands for rounding corners,
but hopefully the numerical errors pointed out by BAR will disappear.
Big thanks to BAR for your thoughts!

If the issue isn’t resolved by this, an SVG sample would be appreciated so I can have a closer look.

Best regards
Marius

1 Like

Hello,
I’m a former makerkam/partkam user. I’ve been experimenting with Krabzcam and I love it! The one issue that I have with it is the safety height feature. Each time the software makes a cut it returns to the safety height even though it’s still in the same feature. I cut metal, so my cuts to final depth are in very small increments. After each depth increment the machine has to return all the way back to the original safety height. A part that typically takes 1.5 hours is now taking over 5 hours. I’m not sure if I’m overlooking a feature, but it would be great if that could be corrected.
Thanks,
Sean

2 Likes

Nice work! First free program with arc disabling or enabled. Will be cool if for small corners enable small lines ( for lower speed) and for big arcs g02/g03. And need meniu for disable retraction for every full path.

Hi Sean, thanks for your feedback.
I’ve done some work trying to fix your issues. Experimental version at
https://mkrabset.github.io/pages/krabzcam-experimental/krabzcam/index.html
Maybe you can try it out and tell me if it solves the issue?
This is new code, so be careful.

Best regards
Marius

1 Like

I’ll try it out and let you know something soon. Thank you!

Hi, thank you!
Just to make it clear, the program still produces g2/g3 even though “disable arc interpolation” is turned on. The checkbox is mainly to reduce the chance of numerical errors.
I’m not sure what you mean by enabling lines for small corners. Maybe you can elaborate?
As for the “disable retraction” issue, see my last response to “Sean”.

Best regards
Marius

Hi Marius,

That fix worked great! I’ve been searching and preparing myself for the end of Flash. It took a couple of days to get use to your software but now I love it more than partkam!

Is there anyway to save all the toolpaths into one G code output? For example, if I cut a profile and also have an engraving or something else on the same part, is there a way to select both operations when I save the operation type to G Code? Or will each operation have to be saved individually?

Thanks,
Sean

| mkrabset
November 13 |

• | - |

Hi Sean, thanks for your feedback.
I’ve done some work trying to fix your issues. Experimental version at
https://mkrabset.github.io/pages/krabzcam-experimental/krabzcam/index.html
Maybe you can try it out and tell me if it solves the issue?
This is new code, so be careful.

Best regards
Marius

Hi Sean, thanks for testing it quickly!
I’ve done some testing myself and have now moved the fix to the official location.

I’m afraid at this point it is not possible to generate gcode for multilple toolpaths into one file.
I guess that would involve adding support for tool-change as well, which seems to vary a bit on different equipment.
So you would need to concatenate the files manually for now.
Maybe later… :slightly_smiling_face:

Best regards
Marius

You’re welcome and thank you!

I purchased maslow cnc for advertisement sign making, so I have to cut plexi. If I make a circle svg file, makercam it makes with I/J attributes like arch, so maslow it cuts fast, thats good, but working with makercam is pain for me. So if I make circle with jscut it makes all path with small, very small incriments, so maslow cuts very slow, its bad for plexi, bicause its start to melt, but jscut have ramp function. The same with plywood, with jscut in straight lines its cuting good, but in arch slow down with small incriments and starts to burn playwood a little bit. But like bone connections or sharp corners, i think is better slow for accuracy.
Big + of me for I/J arch calculating.
If You add ramping, I wont need any makercam or jscut.

Hi Mantisas, thanks for your input.
I will look into it and see if I can make something similar to the ramping functionality in jscut.
It might take a while, but I’ll let you know

Best regards
Marius

Hi again,
I’ve added some ramping-support in an experimental version here:
https://mkrabset.github.io/pages/krabzcam-experimental/ramping/krabzcam/index.html
I haven’t added any GUI for it yet, but it uses ramping instead of vertical plunge for profiles and pockets.
Maybe you can try it out and tell me if it works ok for you.

Best regards
Marius

1 Like

kede1

Good job! But making this file is saved 267 mb file, can’t even open it. With less complex file everything ok.

Downloading it from here stores it ~4kb, opening and storing with inkscape makes it 6kb

Make gcode from it in krabzcam ramping. I know svg file size. Even notepad can’t open gcode.