Iocane Powder I'd bet my life on it!

Serious humor here -

Serious project here -

I’m wondering about using the Maslow to aid in the construction of a glider airframe.

I’m willing to bet my life on what I build.

http://m-sandlin.info/

Next

Thank you

1 Like

I’ve thought about this too. I did some research and you can buy spruce plywood that is aircraft grade. Are you attaching a motor to make an ultralight, or just doing a glider that will be towed up to glide back down?

I’ve thought about big RC planes, but nothing that could carry me.

My understanding is as long as it passes inspection for it’s classification, it’s allowed to fly.

There is a weight limit. As long as it is under that then you are considered ultralight. That doesn’t require a license.

Strictly looking at gliding for now.

Thank you

1 Like

@Bee,

If it doesn’t work, I want you to know that I appreciate your contributions so-far.

:wink:

3 Likes

Inconceivable! Seriously, very cool! Was a hang glider pilot in college. Really not much different that building boats. You have an 8’ long work surface and tiling longer parts is easy with a reference mark on the bottom crossbar. You could even cut puzzle joints where needed to join longer pieces together. Really, the only limit is your imagination and ingenuity. Does anyone remember that Orville told Wilbur 3 years before their success at Kittyhawk that humans wouldn’t fly for 50 years?

2 Likes

I didn’t know that. However, I have personally had similar doubts that turn out to be dead-wrong.

1 Like

After much research I have decided on a more traditional feeling powered plane I think will work, well with in reasonable reach cost $3000 - $5000, that price may be dated. However it also depends on what you already have too. I’m going to go with part 103 Ultralight plane - Legal Eagle.

Stall speed 25 mph, top speed 80 mph, cruse 57 mph. 2 cylinder converted VW engine. Wooden wings -

Best Bang for your Buck -

Thank you

Ever looked at powered parachutes? If all you want to do is bore holes in the sky low and slow works great.

I flew out of Torrance for several pre-domestic responsibility years, mostly Tomahawks and Cherokee 140s, with Citabrias for extra fun. Doubt I could pass a physical anymore, though, and it was all pre 9/11.

Do you have any taildragger time?

Never flown in my life but 103 will let anyone in the right space try to defy gravity. Yea it set in my average speed on land is 80 + mph and this should top out at 60 so I’d be flying slower then I drive. I however do enjoy when I’m not in a hurry taking my sweet time on the right.

I should be able to utilize the Maslow for wing spars.

Thank you

Might think about a tricycle gear (nose wheel) design, and getting a few hours of dual with an instructor before getting too far into it.

That tail wheel really wants to go first, and will require a lot of attention so it doesn’t. Groundloops can be expensive.

Should add the closest I got was in the back seat of a Bellanca Viking, haven’t done it myself, yet

I’m looking into life with an ultralight for sure. I might buy some open land just to have a place to putter around in it. But yea I was going to see about going out in a 2 seater.

Thank you

Got the plans for a gp4, osprey 2, ragwing special 1&2, and a petenpol. Aviation grade plywood is expensive FYI. Interesting thing is the gp4 wing ribs are made from plywood. The others are gusset style.

1 Like

@happyk9

Welcome to our group. Flying isn’t cheap, but it’s achievable.

Thank you

1 Like

Plywood used in aircraft construction must be manufactured according to certain specifications. The regular plywood you find at your local lumberyard should not be used in any structural component of your airplane. Why? Most common grade plywood is comprised of plies of veneer that probably have several defects. These defects result in “voids” or gaps between the sheets of core veneer. These voids cause a weak spot in the plywood itself. If moisture creeps into a void it can lead to rotting or delamination of the plywood. In addition, the glue used in common plywood may not have adequate strength or be waterproof.

Aircraft grade plywood, on the other hand, must be free of all voids and the veneers used must be free of most wood defects. The glue used must also meet certain specifications. Most manufacturers use phenol-phenolic glue applied in a hot press. The glue is both waterproof and fireproof. A military specification pertaining to the manufacture of aircraft plywood was developed by the government years ago. This specification is referred to as Mil-Spec 6070B. It outlines in detail the types of wood that can be used, adhesives to be used, thickness of veneer, defects not allowed in veneer, thickness tolerances, sample testing requirements, etc.

Excerpt form -

http://eaavintage.org/tech-tip-aircraft-plywood/

Thank you

3 Likes

Hey @mooselake

I just jumped in a forum for the Legal Eagle and suggested I might take a crack at 3D printing my airframe. I’ve been toying with the idea of Printing in a Carbon Fiber / ASA blend. I have mixed feelings about annealing it as well. I thought you might find the idea interesting.

Thank you

Are you talking about printing the entire structure. I have seen people cover plywood with a fabric (I.e. carbon fiber fabric) that is either glued or heated to make pliable and then wrap the plywood. It wouldn’t add much weight and would make the wood as strong as steel. I also read this http://www.iflscience.com/technology/scientists-discover-a-way-to-get-wood-as-hard-as-steel/ about infusing the wood with chemicals to make the wood as strong as steel. I don’t know what the cost of this would be in comparison.

The plane uses a chromoly tube frame. I’m talking about printing the frame as 1 piece. I think it would be about a 5487 mm / 18ft print.

Thank you