As soon as I got my Maslow a few months ago, I decided the first project should be a large farmhouse table to replace the wobbly aluminum and glass one in our apartment.
In my initial sketches, I wanted something geometric and complex, while my wife was leaning towards simple and organic. The criteria was that it should have an arch for strength, and be resistant to wobbling.
My Initial Sketch:
A few revisions later, she drew this and we both really liked it:
I imported her drawing into Illustrator and exported it as a DXF to import into SolidWorks.
After some modeling and a few tweaks, this is the completed design:
I ended up adding a few layers to each leg with a .25"-.45" offset to add rigidity and visual interest to the legs.
And so it was time to assemble the Maslow and start cutting…
I knolled the kit parts in case anyone was wondering what all is in the box.
All assembled – I used some storm door springs for tensioning the chains, and they seem to be working well, but I have some other ideas that are in the works.
After cutting a few more leg pieces, I decided to pick up a cheap 2-in-1 tablet from amazon and mount it to the frame. I used Bar’s tablet holder design and modified it to fit the refurbished tablet:
And here it is all cut and installed:
Now back to the actual project…
I cut out a few of the outer parts of the legs in order to make the most of a failed cut. As I’m using 3/4 birch ply for this, each mistake is potentially a $50 mistake. Needless to say, I’m still pretty nervous with every cut.
Here’s the best fit I’ve found for the leg cuts:
And finally, here is one mostly finished leg stack as of early last week. I only have a few hours a week to work on this project, so progress has been slow to say the least.
If anyone’s interested, I’d be glad to keep you all up to date on the project as I get closer to completion here in the next few weeks. Thanks for reading – and thank you @Bar and @Hannah for all of your incredible work. This project wouldn’t be happening without the Maslow.