M4 v0.70 Firmware Calibration Emergency Stop Triggers Immediately

Upgraded to firmware v0.70 today and ran into new calibration problems. After setting the machine width & height in Config, going through standard retract and extend, then hitting calibration, belts tighten, then everything stops. MSG: Emergency Stop Triggered repeats continiously from that point on. I got the same results 3 or 4 times consistently. I also reverted to v0.69 and was able to calibrate, but results haven’t been great with Fitness Too Low messages in v0.69. I was really hoping v.07 would help with calibration. Log level is just set to Info at the moment so I don’t have great detail right now. I didn’t see anything like this looking through the forums, but I’m wondering if anyone else is seeing this. Frame is set to 3581 x 2362 (roughly 12’ x 8’), vertical

This sounds to me like the error message which pops up if the machine finds the initial frame width and height entered to be off by more than it can handle. Changing the initial values for width and height should fix it.

I need to make that error message more clear and not let it get swamped in the emergency stop messages

I had a similar experience with .70. The first 3x3 grid ran well enough, and said the results were not good enough (Calibration fitness too low). So I tried running it again and then it got to trying the next sized grid and started spooling out crazy quantities of belt on the upper left belt while upper right and lower left were so tight it couldn’t drop or move. Also lots of surplus belt spooling on the lower belts at times. More than once I got it to alarm about tensions over 4000 and then emergency stop. It also got scary tight a couple times before it would alarm and make creaky plastic noises. I could try and grab video of the whole process I suppose, but in short .70 was a mess for me last night.

1 Like

That is good feedback. We might need to make the criteria for moving to the next step stricter. That sounds to me like it moved on without really having a good enough understanding of the anchor points.

I also downloaded 0.70 this morning and attempted calibration following the steps in the new video but no joy. Even though all belts are fully extended

it reports that they are not and will not continue. Am I missing something?

I did perform the Test and it reports all motors, encoders, and magnets to be present.

1 Like

Retried from a cold boot 3 times and it appeared to do all the configuration movements but at the end of the calculations it errored out with:

Emergency stop

No heartbeat from machine

Will retry again.

1 Like

I actually just saw that myself. I’m not sure what it was, but I’m also re-running it to see if it fixes itself on a second run.

1 Like

This time it got stuck repeating an error message “Calibration data not acknowledged by computer, resending”. I got past it by to turning off the tablet I was using and switching to my gaming PC. It’s now continuing through waypoints (42 so far).

1 Like

We just got that issue too @boxomatic is here so I can test things on his machine and his computer and we’ve just run into both of those same issues. The good news is that we have fixes in the works for both

1 Like

Should we drop back to version 0.69 in the meantime?

1 Like

Just tried it with all the same dimensions that were in the video and got the same message. I am running mine horizontal right now.

I think that 0.7 is still much better. If you get that error message at the end it’s annoying but your calibration sill still be saved and working. You just need to go through Retract All → Extend All → Take Slack before you can move around

1 Like

It finally completed successfully with a 0.6175 fitness.

1 Like

I was able to get successful calibration late last night and have repeated it several times. For me it looks like a measurement problem. I made sure I was within a 1/2 and inch by average, my posts aren’t perfectly square. They’re close, but not quite square. v.0.7 looks like it has much tighter tolerances over v0.6.9. I will say that it’s worked better than ever before. The new calibration process seems dramatically improved and everything seems to run a lot more smoothly. Side note, the belts crackling a little is a new one for me, but the lower belts (I have a vertical setup) stay tight pretty much at all times now vs fairly slack before.

2 Likes

Before I forget - Thank You Bar!

2 Likes

Ran into the same issue starting out with version 0.70 after several attempts. went back to version 0.69 and ran the calibration process getting fitment of 0.51. after saving those initial results and then updating back to version 0.70 i have successfully started the full calibration process.

1 Like