Maslow 4 - The next generation of Maslow

To be determined :slight_smile:

We can use them for anything that we want

2 Likes

I only caught the tail end of the kickstarter for the original Maslow. I can’t tell you how stoked I am to be able to get in on this one. I feel like one of the cool kids in high school who always got first dibs on the fresh food in the cafeteria, while I always got the stuff scraped of the bottom of the pans.

…… Stupid cool kids. Most of them wound up in prison or politics.

Anyway bar, keep up the posts. It boosts engagement!

4 Likes

@bar Count me in on the new version!! Looks good and Can’t wait for the Kickstarter!!

1 Like

This looks quite exciting, look forward to seeing more

1 Like

@bar , Im in!! Ready to build again. I moved into another house and life got in the way. Super exiting!

1 Like

I was doing some testing today in the lower corners where the two chain Maslow has a hard time, and the extra tension from the lower belts makes a huge difference.

There’s still some PID tuning to make the movements look smoother, but the cut quality is already great.

Also, the number one question that people ask when seeing it for the first time is, “What happens if you hit a knot in the wood? Won’t it go flying off?” it turns out to be not much of an issue, while I was testing other things today I accidentally cut a steel screw in half and didn’t even notice.

6 Likes

There you go… bringing my optimism back! Count me in also!

1 Like

Two weeks ago……
Some guy: “that forum is slowly dying”

Two days ago….
Bar: “I have something to show you guys”

Today:
Forum: “I’m not dead yet”

7 Likes

I’m still likely a month away from building the Maslow 1 I picked up. It’s interesting to hear that after all this time one of your main concentration points is still the chain/bands. Bands would likely make it easier to disassemble and reassemble when needed.

While I liked the overall capabilities of the Maslow I have been checking in here watching some of the people who were trying to deal with the tilt/sled issues. I’m still working out the details but I’d like to mount the router on its own rail system so that it doesn’t actually touch the work product but has about 6 inches of Z travel down. My hope is for something of a hybrid between the existing maslows and a flat CNC that can do relief cuts. If anyone has been working on that challenge please feel free to reach out.

a gantry system, tilted or not, is fairly common to build, the math for moving
it is MUCH simpler than the hanging maslow. If you are going to build a gantry,
there is no need to add the complexity of the maslow approach.

I would suggest that you look at the COREXY architecture so that you can keep
the motors fixed rather than having one moving the router on the gantry.

There have been many posts about people considering such approaches over the
years, but since they end up not having much in common with the maslow, we don’t
hear the results of the work (but no reason for them to have failed)

David Lang

Thanks for the reply.

I liked the build area for the Maslow plus the near vertical platform would be great for those of is who are space constrained. I’ve only seen flat COREXY systems but I haven’t looked all that carefully to be honest. When someone local was selling a boxes maslow kit they weren’t going to ise I jumped at the opportunity. I’m still building the space where it will eventually live, so I’ve got a bit more time to continue my research.

here you go: True Creative

2 Likes

Love it! It reminds me a bit of these guys: https://www.yetismartbench.com/ , but tilted 90 degrees.

I read tilted 90° and thought it was portrait instead of landscape… that would be something.

1 Like

I think that would be even better

1 Like

Will M4 run in portrait mode? I could see mounting it over one car bay to hinge it down and run, then lift it back up.

1 Like

It will work in either portrait or landscape mode

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing about the belts and stretching, that they might need to be glass fiber-infused or the like. Really interested to see more from this @bar !

1 Like

I was doing some testing today in the lower corners where the two chain Maslow has a hard time and it’s the extra tension from the lower belts makes a huge difference.

https://youtube.com/shorts/oLN81BkR8eg

that looks like it’s tilted a bit (could be me misreading it)

There’s still some PID tuning to make the movements look smoother, but the cut quality is already great.

how much force can the motors produce? looking forward to learning how you keep
the sled from rotating (I assume it’s in the math)

David Lang

1 Like

A few questions.

What is the diameter of the sled? It looks smaller in the pics.

How is the z axis driven? How fast is it compared to the traditional Ridgid setup and 2:1 pulley setup?

Is it designed to fit larger routers with the possibility of step down adapters? The skil I started out with has a 3.5" (89mm) diameter. Now I have a spindle which is 52mm.

1 Like